Min size for nexus 200

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Daveholme
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Min size for nexus 200

Post by Daveholme »

I am going to start building a new 2500 Gallon koi pond and will be putting my koi into a 600 Gallon temp pond. I was wondering about using my nexus 200 on it. Whats the minimum size pump I could get away with? I have a aquamax 5500 kicking around will this be enough?
Daveholme
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Min size for nexus 200

Post by Daveholme »

Ok no one can answer. How about what size are all you Nexus 200 users running and whats the least size pump you have tried?
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

Dave the problem is that the question is not very clear ... how long do you plan to leave your koi in the temp pond? how much koi? do you plan to feed? is the nexus mature?

The nexus 200 can use any pump up to a 10K, there is no minimum size, just a maximum. You only need to turn the vat over quick enough to keep ammonia at 0 and not so fast that the koi can't rest. So until you give more details we are only guessing.

I have run my nexus 200 on an aquosis vat using an aquamax 3.5K ... but for the three weeks that I used the vat I did not feed and the vat had in excess of 5 mtrs of koi.
Daveholme
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Daveholme »

The koi will be in a temp pond of about 800 Gallons. There are 6 koi of about 300mm (some smaller). The k1 is not mature as I have not got the nexus yet. My thought was to run the nexus on the temp pond and transfer it to my new pond when its ready. I think you answered my question when you said you have run a nexus on a 3500 l/h pump. My worry was on a small pond 10,000 l/h was way to fast.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Daveholme wrote:The koi will be in a temp pond of about 800 Gallons. There are 6 koi of about 300mm (some smaller). The k1 is not mature as I have not got the nexus yet. My thought was to run the nexus on the temp pond and transfer it to my new pond when its ready. I think you answered my question when you said you have run a nexus on a 3500 l/h pump. My worry was on a small pond 10,000 l/h was way to fast.
I'd just use the big pump if it saves buying you another one! My quarantine tank is 400g and I run an Aquamax 12,000 on it and the fish are fine - they love the flow.