newby pond build questions

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

bdtlr
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

newby pond build questions

Post by bdtlr »

Hi there! looking at building a sleeper pond but cant find the info i really need.
Firstly if i use eco sleepers do i need a concrete collar as the ground is very solid and even though it is going to be linered can i still treat the sleepers with creosote substitute for added weather protection? I understand to put metal rods through to connect sleepers from top and to use timberlock screws, surely this will be enough to keep pond in place. I there something ive missed as to why a concrete collar may be needed? HELP!!! :?
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: newby pond build questions

Post by eds »

A concrete collar helps to stabilise the ground around the excavation as you dig. I'm building a liner pond (but with brick and block walls rather than sleepers) and a concrete collar is the first thing to do IMO. And by doing it you can be totally confident that the sleepers will be resting on a very firm, level footing.

As to treatments, I'd get them pressure treated and then treat with a pond safe preservative; I wouldn't use creosote (if you can even get it now?). I can't help you with the connections of the sleepers - this is one reason why I decided on brick and blocks above the ground for mine.
legin
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by legin »

I Have a sleeper lined part raised pond, these are decrative held together with metal straps used in ceiling fixing purchased from wickes etc. the pond walls have reinforced rods 1.5 m driven vertically to hold back sub soil ( clay n flint ) proper essex sub soil. the sleepers just sit on the levelled ground strapped together at different hights. view my pond at www.suffolkandnorthessexbkks.co.uk. I hope this helps regards Nigel :D
bdtlr
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by bdtlr »

Cheers Nigel, nice pond by the way! I went round somebodys house yesterday who has had their sleepers just laid on end and pinned straight to the soil. Seemed very solid and has been up for a few years! Seems this is a way forward, but any advices please as to get 5 feet depth i need to dig 3 or 4 feet down