Heater Problem

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

philkoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Heater Problem

Post by philkoi »

My Elecro 900 2KW heater has suddenly started to play up (cycling effect) it cannot make the preset temp before it keeps going back to the standby mode.
It was thought prior to removal of the unit that lowered flow from the water pump maybe causing the flow switch to be causing the false switching..
After removal of the heater from the pipework for a closer examination, i am tending to think that the problem maybe being caused by the major excessive build up of light brown crud (is this calcim build up?) all the way through the heating coil to the outer stainless tube - it is fully caked and so solid.
I imagine the heater coil on a new unit would be suspended away from the walls by the element mounting points.. thus allowing the water to be freely flowing all round the coil.

Would it be easy to clean remove this somehow, it will not scrap away or chip away very easily.. and no way can you get inbetweenn all the coils in this way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Phil
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Heater Problem

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Phil,

If it was me, I think that I would look for a kettle de-scaler type of product. Fill the heater up and wait till all the fizzing stops. It might take a couple of goes at it though, if the scale is as bad/thick as you think.

Hope that helps

Chris (another one)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Phil,

If it was me then i would do exactly what Chris has suggested and fingers crossed it will do the trick :D

Chris your on fire today mate :D
welsh_kai_boy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by welsh_kai_boy »

I use an eletronic blanket weed gizmo which helps keep the UV tube clear of scale (water softener).

does bugger all to the weed.

white vinegar is a good descaler, non toxic too.
philkoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by philkoi »

Thanks all for the reply's - i think i might feel safer with the white vinegar.. or will it not attack as quick as descaler?, would be very worried about leaving any trace of either solution in there even after many rinses as to not harm the fish or the eco system.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Phil,

Whatever you use just make sure you give it a good hose out once done to make sure you get rid of any solutions or bits that have fallen off.
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Phil,

The reason I suggested using kettle descaler as opposed to white vinegar, is that is designed to be used is our kettles, and that the `clean-up` after usng it would be simple. A couple of boil and empties and its good to brew again.

White vinegar on the other hand can be tricky. To be honest, I do sometimes descale my kettle with it if I`ve not got any descaler around, but you have to watch what you are doing. Obviously, you would do the clean out over the sink/drain ready for the unexpected boil overs, and try not to breathe in more fumes than you can help, because they are NOT pleasant.

Gazza, Thanks for noticing, :lol: my brain`s buzzin `cos my oxygen machine`s just been serviced. 8)

Chris (another one)