Koi Friendly Vets - For AB's

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Koi Friendly Vets - For AB's

Post by greg »

Has made it back into my possession from a place i can no longer get or want to get onto....

Koi Friendly Vets that koi keepers have used (needs adding too as people use other places) to obtain AB's legally.

Vet Contact Details:-

Rugby.

Rainsbrook Veterinary Group,
83, High St,
Hillmorton,
Rugby,
Warwickshire
CV21 4HD

Tel:- 01788 542221

They do require to do a ONCE ONLY pond visit upon first contact with them (AROUND £70) to check you are a genuine Koi keeper. After this you simply contact them if you need more Antibiotics.

Derby.

Scarsdale Veterinary Hospital,
45-47 Kedleston Road,
Derby,
DE22 1FN

Tel: 01332 345191,

Contact name is:- Anders
Call-out within 3 miles was £37.50. (back in 2006)

Burton -On-Trent

The Glenthorne Veterinary Group
The White House,
Monk St,
Tutbury,
Burton-On-Trent,
Staffordshire
DE13 9NA

Tel: 01283 813343

Lancashire

J & M Glassbrook
1-3 King Street
Leyland
Lancashire
PR25 2LE

Tel:- 01772 432039

The contact given is Kim, she will come out to see the koi, and prefers to recommend "text book" methods but is apparently open to other idea's if you can prove a sense of knowledge (Duncan's Book?).

Needle Exchange.

There is also a thing in Rugby called "Needle Exchange" whereby chemists will swap your old used needles for free new sterilized ones. They do look at you like a crazed drug addict when you ask for them, but hey there free.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Koi Friendly Vets - For AB's

Post by greg »

Please feel free to add any further vetinary practices that will offer AB's to koi hobbyists in your area. Lets see if we can build a UK database of useful practices for the equipment koi hobbyists need.

Maybe worth adding sources of Flubanol etc too???

Basically legal ways to obtain stuff that we cannot source from Duncan (who i use for all my meds these days where i can)
pepsi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by pepsi »

Are there any Koi friendly Vets in or around the Brighton area? if so could someone let me know.
Barry
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Barry,

Do you have any animals or have a local vet if so give them a call and ask.
The vets don't really know much but and here is the but if they do come out and have a look most will help you in the future and if you can show them an understanding (all you need to do is show them Duncan's book) they are normally only to pleased to help. Now you may never need this service but its a handy thing to have a "just in case" place to get some treatments from.

I had our vet come out and do just this and to be honest he did ask some valid questions and once done my pocket was lighter but if the poo did hit the fan for some reason at least i know i can have some "stuff" from them if required :D
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Hi Guys

We seem to have only one Koi friendly vet in the South and she is in Dorset; does anybody know of koi friendly vet in Hampshire or around ?

Peter
pepsi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by pepsi »

Gazza, thankyou for your reply, I have been and seen a vet(grove lodge) locally to me.
One of the Vets has said he is willing to come out and check out my Pond and equipment,(filtration etc),
for a small charge of £35.00ish .... I hope the (ish) bit is no more ,but I still think its reasonable.
He's comeing up this week...I wiil let you know the outcome.....Barry
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Barry,

Good news and although they may not know much about fish its just a handy to have and make sure you have Duncan's book on hand and then you have a great reference :D
pepsi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by pepsi »

Hi Gazza, yes I will have Duncans book to hand. I've had a copy for some time now, ...is there a 2nd addition? or a more recent copy ,that I could buy?.... Barry
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Barry,

At this moment in time this is the only book Duncan has done but i am sure he has a few ideas about another but unfortunately he is a very busy man so can't do it all but you never know :D
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Barry

Just for info...

Rob Reynolds @
Seers Croft Veterinary Surgery Tower Rd, Faygate, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 4SD (Tel: 01293 851122) [It's Crawley rather than Horsham]

He deals with exotics.

But home visit would not be cheap, so best to go with what you've found to date and see how that goes.

Tom
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,
Took one of our dogs to vet's yesterday. I had a chat with the vet-he said they will supply anti biotics for koi IF they feel you have enough knowledge/experience preferably after a visit to the pond.

Colne Valley Vets
The Bungalow
Colchester Road
Wivenhoe
Colchester
Essex
C07 9ET
01206 826287

AND

Colne Valley Vets
Off Maudlyn Road
Colchester
CO1 2GU
01206 794695

Hope this may help someone

Cheers Andy
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Hi guys

Our local vet said that if he got a member from each of the local practices together, would "I" (we) pe prepared to provide a speaker and outline what our needs are ? Seemed friendly and genuinely concerned about their lack of knowledge but aware of the amount of time and expenses we spend on out fish. (Hampshire area by the way).

Peter