home made easy

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

home made easy

Post by carlejo »

Following on from an earlier post I think I'm going to convert my 36" primary vortex into an easy.
It won't be done for a couple of months yet as I want tht weather to warm up a bit and filters wll have to be off for most of the day.

I was thinking, would it be better to place a square shaped easy or a circular shaped one inside my 36" vortex

Reason I ask is that in a vortex, the water(debris, etc) would move around the circular part (outside wall of EASY) easier, than a square shaped one. If the easy had square walls, in theory some of the debris would bounce off the square walls and then maybe fall away, does this make sense ?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: home made easy

Post by Gazza »

Hi Carl,

It all depends on what you can get to put in your vortex or if you can make a purpose made one within the vortex but as long as you can get the water to pass up through the static K1 it should work OK. The other thing to remember is that K1 seems to be able to escape out of almost anything and is a bugger to keep contained so make sure you can keep it contained and in place and so that none can pass onto the next chamber and of course down the drain when you flush it after cleaning.

I am not sure if you have seen this but here are some pictures of my conversion :

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=11397
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Cheers Gazza, I saw your EASY when you first done it, a few years ago now I think :wink:
Does the water have to pass up through the EASY, I thought it passed through the slots in the side wall of the EASY, or does it so both ?

BTW, how much K1 is in the real EASY ?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Carl,

I like to call mine the Geazy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The water comes in the side of the vortex from the bottom drain and then round 2 x 45 bends and into the base of the vortex so it is in the bottom part of the cone if you like. The filter grid sits just on the top as the cone starts and the 4" pipe is all below this so any big waste always sits below the filter grid and can not go into the static K1. The waster then comes up through the filter grid into the K1 section and and then through the grill which in the drawing you can see holds the K1 in position and stops it going down the two 4" pipes to the bio stages.

I think there is about 25 or 3o lts in a Eazy.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Something like this Carl

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I remember that old settlement chamber :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Cheers Gazza and Bob, how much do you have as static K1 and is it your only form of fines settlement ?
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Carl,

Think there's about 50l in that big black tank, which is actually a very large plastic plant pot from a garden centre
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Carl,

I have about 35lt of K1 in my static K1 chamber and this is the only mechanical filtration i have as after my primary vortex i just have another 3 vortex units which all have aerated K1 in them.