Euthanasia

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Euthanasia

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

What is the best method of Euthanasia?

Im not asking coz im going to do it but have always wondered the best method if required? I often here people talking about knocking a fish on the head but i always think there is a lot of room for error plus its probably not something that everyone would be happy to do!

Just wondering peoples thoughts?

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Euthanasia

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

MS222 is probably one of the best solutions for euthanasia as some of the others are sedatives and will not do the job.

I also thing banging them over the head is not the best method for the job.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

I am with Gazza on this one.

I normally use 2-Phenoxyethanol for my treatments etc when i need to treat a fish but IMO this is NOT SUITABLE as a euthanasia tool as it doens't seem to put the koi far enough under to finish the job in a humane way.

So i keep a small tub of MS222 for Euthanasia only.

My method is a overdose of MS222 at 1.5g per 10lts of water as i would want to get the job over as quickly and humanely as possible. I also cover the bowl over with a towel to put the koi into a darker situation to ease any stress for the short time req'd and genrally leave the koi in the water for an extended time just to be sure. Last thing i want is a koi coming round later on.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes these guys are correct, 2-phenoxyethanol is a great anaesthetic and a testament to this is the fact its a great anaesthetic is its really hard in fact extremely hard to "OFF" a fish using it ( kill) so its not much use for euthanasia but you could sedate the fish to a point where when its out of its tree you could give it the killer blow with a priest the best methods are MS222 or benzocaine

but to tell the truth i differ from the other guys in so much as i think once sedated a trout priest is swift and instant and probably the most humane way to go

salt can also do the job

do not do what many do put it in a plastic bag and place in the freezer, while this will get the job done its a very slow and agonising death
welsh_kai_boy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by welsh_kai_boy »

Priest is a good job if done correctly, someone told me about the deep freeze but i agree it takes time to freeze etc so unless clonked on the head the fish is not going to sit still in the freezer.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi
My Method sounds horrible,but I did put a koi down about 3 years ago first put it to sleep with pheonx2 then I laid it on the grass and chopped it's head off with a sharp spade,

I have seen where some people have put them in the freezer,I think thats a slow and horrible death for a Koi.

Regards Geoff
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I'm with welsh_kai_boy.
As someone who has been an angler for years I have dispatched perhaps a thousand fish using a simple priest (or a wrench or the handle od a big screwdriver etc>) and ain't one of em ever come back to complain. :roll: Seriously though, in the years gone by I have heard some really elaborate methods to put a fish down but IMHO a quick thump on the noggin is about as quick and simple as you please (if you have the stomach for it). Cost nothing and the fish don't see it coming and it less blood then chopping the head off with a spade!

B.Scott
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Hi...In my past life i have nailed a trout or two with a priest....But these are my pets & I could not do that now...Last time I had to, I just overdosed with sedative & left the fish alone, while in tears feeling pretty cr@p...I could no sooner club my dog.......I know....sad git :) ...Mike
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Mike
I truly care for the welfare of my koi and wouldn't like to think they are suffering in any way,with 17 koi in 6400gallon I like to think I give my upmost best to there keep..I would prefer a quick clean death rather than a slow one..even with tears in my eyes with a foot on the spade and a fast downward thrust near the gill plate the koi is despatched in a second,not a nice thing to do but if you look after any live stock you have a duty of care to help them on there way when all else fails.

Regards Geoff
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

guys

this is a touchy subject and there's no right or wrong ( well obviously theres a wrong) but you get what i mean

as long as its done quick and painless there are many options its a case of what works for you

i know why most folks would rather overdose it kinda detaches you a little bit from the deed but honest as lonmg as the fish does not suffer its a case of what works for you at a sad time

this is a good subject and its good to get stuff like this aired

dunc
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi in the past I have used 2-phenoxyethanol at a very high dose left the koi in there for a few hours and never had any sign of one not being dead,but having read what has been said the priest may come to visit as well if I have to do it again.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi All,

Cheers for the responses-nice to ba able to ask a question like this on a forum!

Where is the best place to purchase MS222 as i dont think ive seen it for sal e before (not hat id ever really looked)

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Duncan if he has any left :D