Japanese matting insight

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Japanese matting insight

Post by Duncan »

In recent months I have been quizzed about what is my favourite filter media the answer now is the same as it was 12 years ago when I built my current pond and filter system “ Japanese matting” as it was intended for use namely a cartridge . For me and £ for £ nothing come close I have seen media come and go and nothing I have seen to date has made me want to rush out and change from my matting, its bullet proof I can throw anything at it and it copes and it’s a true free flow system that does not encourage the trapping od particulates and there is good reason for that but we will get to that in a moment

But also in recent months I have witnessed how dreadfully people get what is a real basic, cheap, fool proof concept monumentally wrong presumably working on the premise more is always better , the reality is less is more in this case. Even some dealers that design ponds for customers get it wrong trust me I have seen some right horror stories where there is that much matting stacked on top of one another it turns in to a giant koi poop strainer the knock on effect of this is you get water tracking as the rest blocks up and koi poop gets calcified

So what is the wrong way?

If you have it installed in either of the following configuration trust me you spent to much money on Japanese matting and are not getting the bio capacity of half this amount configured correctly

First the side draft system with vertical non spaced sheets

Next the updraft system with sheets stacked directly on one another with no spacing

Both of these systems earned the dealers extra cash (selling more matting than was required) and these finished units styled this way are themselves anaerobic power houses Giant turd traps and really not what’s required

Before we see how it should be made:

Pete Waddington bought Japanese matting to the UK it worked then and still works great now if you follow some basics

The cartridge when made must have square void spaces these are as important as the matting itself and is what makes it function

After initial settlement chambers most people still have suspended fines/particulates travelling through the bio system you don’t want these getting trapped and blocking the biological section with K1 this does not happen and when a Japanese matting cartridge is made right it does not/should not happen with J matting

The rule is what does not settle out in the settlement chamber you want it to go on right through the system where it hopefully will settle out next time it enters the settlement chamber hopefully we don’t use bio media for settlement

There are two grades of Japanese matting 35mm and 40mm as far as I know there is no difference in bio mass but which ever you employ be it 35 or 40 remember the voids should be 40 or 35 mm square so if we were using 40 mm looking down on the cartridge from the top every thing should measure 40mm the exposed sheet will obviously be 40mm the voids and upright spacers should measure 40mm square. The cartridge itself should be no more than 10 -12” deep

The original cartridges were made by interlocking the sheets, so you had to end up with everything measuring the overall thickness of the sheet

Below the traditional cartridge configuration

As stated the most important part is the void spaces without these the system does not function

The water obviously comes up fast through the voids , this has two important effects
First any remaining suspended particles get drawn to the faster current so they pass unhindered on the way back into the pond to hopefully settle out next time

Next the faster water travelling up creates a kind of vacuum or suction behind it this creates a slower flow THROUGH the matting and this water percolates up through the matting being treated by nitrifying bacteria as it goes

The following drawings should explain it better than I

This is basic engineering based on the fluid dynamics and utilising an updraft system

Last but not least don’t try to make a giant long updraft system figuring more is better again because as you will see from the next examples all that happens is the water will take the path of least resistance and go up through the first ¼ of the length leaving ¾ of the Bio stage redundant

So based on the principle of water will always find its own level ( again fluid dynamics ) we make the water travel where we want it to go buy blocking its path and creating weirs and up and over sections to utilise every square inch of surface area

So if you want to avoid this

Don’t do this XXX

Do this and get better bio filtration

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Japanese matting insight

Post by Gazza »

Hi Duncan,

I find it amazing how some filter sets ups are incorrectly built due to misconceptions on how matting can or should be installed.Whilst out in Japan i even spoke to some breeders about this and not one single one said they could ever be used unless it was in a type of cartridge/free flow set up as otherwise they would just catch waste and cause tracking issues.When i explained that some used it n
  • t as a free flow system i got a few funny looks and the shaking head bit.

In the side/up draft installations i can see that this would be a good way of catching fines and keeping the water clear but i would not be happy personally as i would feel this would need regular maintenance and i personally would call this a mechanical part of a filter and not biological purely down to it is going to catch waste and in my mind anything which is not free flowing and catches waste if mechanical.

I think this could come down to the same old same old "it must be good look how clear the water is" which is such a misconception i would go for good water over clarity any day :D
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Gazza trust me go for the max amount in void spacings the unit will work great i cant think of anything better, if you wnna build a
n anerobic power house dont put the voids in

i have just decomissioned a pond for a mate he had three cubic meter fibre glass square chambers and when i took the matting sheets out he had enough to filter sea world but it was not doing enough to filter 1000 gallons the way he had it the fish crap had calcified in the matting not only that all that damn clay was in there as well it stank that bad i had to come away cuz the sulphide was making me feel sick yet his deal and him believed it was right and he was keeping it clean

i showed his wife and she would not set foot outside the back door after course the dealer thought it was great he made a fortune out of selling more sheets than the guy needed and was practical

dunc
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Duncan,

Yes i know what you mean as i myself have seen this before and also what can happen when it all goes south which it can do once it gets built up to much.

So if we look at the setting up on a system which has matting incorrectly installed would i be right in saying that in the wrong conditions this could become a breeding ground and a nice hide out for the likes of Trichodina as they love a bit of dirt and waste :?:
bicolormoth
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by bicolormoth »

Duncan

your explanation of how the cartridge is actually constructed is something i have never seen or heard of before and i expect i am not alone in that. I HAVE seen a cartridge set up but i had assumed the pieces of matting in between the sheets were like battons just keeping the sheets apart, not realising that the sheets had been 'morticed' together.
i think you have just opened a lot of eyes on this and must be congratulated for what i think is a very important post. > 'STICKY' :?:

i intend to totally revisit everything i have read about block-built/settlement filters and see if i can 're-learn' what i thought i already understood.

well done fella, and thanks. :wink:

Russell.
fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishy hands »

duncan

you have not mentioned aireation of the jap matt is this benificial or can it be used without any air
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Intresting reading thank you Duncan.

Graham
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi guys
Gazza wrote:would i be right in saying that in the wrong conditions this could become a breeding ground and a nice hide out for the likes of Trichodina as they love a bit of dirt and waste
yes mate in such conditions theis would be a bacterial generator and parasite haven
bicolormoth wrote:your explanation of how the cartridge is actually constructed is something i have never seen or heard of before and i expect i am not alone in that. I HAVE seen a cartridge set up but i had assumed the pieces of matting in between the sheets were like battons just keeping the sheets apart, not realising that the sheets had been 'morticed' together.
they originally started out that way but has been bastardised everyway you can imagine and then some since then the average way now is to use battons instead of interlock that way they dont have to put so many small voids in they can eploy wide battons and wide voids ( not as good ) but will work in a fashion plus this way every time you pull the batton system out guess what? yes it all falls apart
fishy hands wrote:you have not mentioned aireation of the jap matt is this benificial or can it be used without any air
i never mantioned it because its not got a direct bearing on the formation of the cartridge But FYI i aerate from the top becuase i dont want air disrupting the flow of fines below the matting cartridge and maybe driving these up into the matting itself , but personally i dont think you actually need O2 in the filters this is easy to test take all the air out of your filters and measure the oxygen from a sample of water entering the filters. record that, then take a measurement of Oxygen as it leaves the last chamber and record it if you cna see a difference i'll take it back. this is a real easy experiment the O2 demand from the bio system is not that great..

put the O2 down deep in the pond where its of real benefit to the fish and the water saturtaion going into the filters
i aerate the filters for no other reason that it may put a little more drawn on the void water flow( not much) and simply because i can

i am re-doing my filters soon becuase my cartridges are around 12 years old and they have turned more or less black

guess what my next media is going to be ?

yup the old J mat

dunc
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Thanks for sharing Duncan and very interesting....
So in the 12 years of having your Jap matting in-situ,have you ever cleaned it before? I'm guessing by the colour of it now probably not?

Col
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

They got blackened up by being 12 years mature with maybe 12 years of on and off chemical treatments and experiments that’s a long time mucka well they are not quite black but they are a long way from the colour they once were.. I clean the cart's every 6 months On 2 or 3 occasions I have lifted the carts out as an entire block to double check and there was just odd bits stuck in there nothing to break sweat over. Certainly non of that horrible brown crud but chambers are a little different as my carts are in 42" vortexes so i have a vortex motion going on under the cartridge as I have a 4” tangential entrance in each vortex therefore my carts are 42" diameter ( round) and 12" deep.
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

OK thank you.....

Col :D
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

visited a pond today fo0r other things but this guy had the perfect Japanese matting cartridge

read em and weep|! this is how utopia should be

dunc
Attachments
cartz.jpg
cartz.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Russ Little Pond »

A good pic of a Japanese matting cartridge out of the chamber.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthrea ... se+matting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Russ Little Pond »

Whats the best way to support the cartridge inside the chamber ?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

well those plastic grids are as good as anything mine are supported by a shoulder i have cut into the top that rests on a ledge all around and near thye top of the chamber with some plastic poles across and under the matting