Share the Vision Blue sky thinking

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Share the Vision Blue sky thinking

Post by Duncan »

hi

im really pleased with the way this section has been received and responded to. For a very limited number of members its took off pretty good and hopefull you have already been privy to some information not normally available on other forums.

With this type of section you can ask what ever you like not even search engine bots are allowed here so there is no chance of your words turning up in a search engine search.

you are all part of an exclusive group of members that at the moment only number 40. There are some obvious choices and some not so obvious. of course there will be some folks i have yet to consider. There will also be some obvious and not so obvious ommissions from this group these will be people that shall we say in the past have proved to be not that reliable selfish and untrustworthy and quite possible a pain in the ass!

I think koi forums have pretty much run their course so here will be a place where we can leave the usually forum drivel and gun ho ego's behind and learn something from one another a place wehere will can recruit people that will be of mutial benefit and an asset for the group

If you look at koiquest it has quite an inventory of members around 2000, but this number is hollow if you look at the numbers of posts for each individual and when it was they made their last post.

so, its my intention to buy a new domain in the next week or so then after this section has grown it will leave koiquest behind and be attach to a new domain, this domain wont be like any other koi web site or forum in so much it will be hand picked members and joining wont be a right or simply a matter of registering it will be by mutual agreement.
what this will do is , we can progress as a group without being interupted and i wont have to police it for spammers and a trouble makers and worry about newbies not understanding but thinking they do this may take 12 months though to come to final realisation

if you have anyone in mind that is totally trustworthy, you can ask me to included them, but as i say please bare in mind i have left some obvious names behind because there is to much baggage and/or lack of trust with them in other words as well as anything else they wopuld raise an eyebrow at whe=at we are discussing here. i will be recruiting some guys learned koi folks from the states and south africa if i can convince them to come join us but again trust me the likes of luke frisbee , Jr and his fleet of mindless followers wont be amongst them

so simply put this will be a new begining for me and all you and hopefully it will leave whats bad about forums behind it/us

its wont be long before others copy this idea, like i said before there is no originality out there any more! but we will have the drop on all of them as hopefull they will have nothing to draw from and copy it will all be on here in private away from them and vets

when all this happens koiquest will remain, but i reitterate in a shrunken form as some of the more technical posts i will be moving over here and articles will be afilliated to the new web site, and my attentions will be concentrated here

the book now is self seeding/selling and is no longer relaint on koiquest but that where it will remain for sale

if any of you can think of any improvments dont hesitate to contact me I'm all ears

dunc
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Share the Vision Blue sky thinking

Post by Brockp »

Hi Duncan;

I would welcome this. A secure group exchanging state of the art information and opinions without the concern of ridicule or personal attack would be good.

I would however suggest that we have a process for reaching a consensus on an issue e.g. winter temps and feeding, that we have a way of making this consensus widely known. S you know the numbers of people invited, if after a period of discussion we voted (and we all have to...no sitting on the fence). Perhaps we need a new ID to be posted by the moderator on the more general forums when a consensus is reached expressing our views.

I would just like to spread the knowledge a bit when we have worked hard to assemble the best info and reach a conclusion.

If we knew that this “think tank” would give rise to better fish husbandry I think it would be highly motivational.

Any thoughts anybody?

Pete
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes i agree and thats where koi quest comes in but in a much more stunted form

your right we need to get info out there, but shall we say in a more palletable and acceptable form< grin>

as an example i regualrly do experiements to find out stuff which involves koi dying by process, trust me you cant find stuff out without this type of approach none of us would be here right now without drug compamnies testing to destruction now how do you think that would go down? i did some testing to find out wher the LC50 @ 96 lies for Chlormaine T, like it or not this type of testing involves subjecting fish to Chloramine T in various doses till they check out

if nobody did this we would have no antibiotics for koi right now, its the side of koi hooby that nobody like to talk about.

Having said all that: when you look around at forums , im gonna say it , koikeepers koimag,and A4 they are full of such drivel there is no new information on them . its a load of guys that have read what they teaching and saying to others with no real hands on experience and this makes them "experts" its all paper learning and theres nothing wrong with that till you stick your chest out and claim it as your own. like i say the only stuff you could describe as half interesting has either been stolen and hacked or been posted elswhere and that because they lack vision. what this hobby needs is new Enervators people like Doc ELJ Gerry Preston, Frank prince etc : that way we get new stuff.

so yes we need to get "some " info back out there but we need a place where we can discuss stuff without somebody raising an eye brow and muttering "you really doing that?"
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Duncan,

You know me feelings on the new forum, so keep up the great work

One improvement I'd like to see, is that of people using their real names, or at least using them in their signatures. No hiding behind funny names that we cant understand who they are. If the forum is restricted, what is there to hide?
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

I agree; we could go a littlw bit further and ask members to fill in a min bio of themselves ? as part of the requirements to join i.e name location how long looking after koi, qualifications, areas of special interest, I am sure we could agree amongst ourselves what we would want to know about new members and what they should know about us !
Peter
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

i agree, i have never understood the need to choose crazy alias's i would like to see more folks using there god given name or a decipherable version of it

what i also meant to say is this section will only work if folks are paticipating, its ok having a place to go where you can air your thoughts in private with out somebody offering recriminations but if its a restricted membership and only a afew are posting it will run out of steam pretty quickly so if you dont use it you will lose it, i will be monitoring members this that only read will be dropped in favour of people that post with a restricted membership we cant afford to have sitters

it wont be personal but its an action i will have to take for it to survive i want this to become a place as qword gets around folks will post lots on koiquest in order to be picked from that crop to join the ultra zone so we can grow

MOF im going through the membership list of koiquest again today

cheers
dunc
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Couldnt agree more that if you dont use it lose it as without input on various topics we could end up with the same old problems that happen on forums else where. Up until now its great to see a wide range of subjects being raised so everyone I hope feels that they can contribute something. I know on some of these subjects I know very little but have learnt so much already, so thanks to every body who has contributed so far.......lets all keep the ball rolling
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

Yes, some great content here already