is lengh more important that depth?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

is lengh more important that depth?

Post by Brek »

kinda inspired by mike snadens observations on deep ponds and poss issues resulting with swim bladder, was wondering about wether a pond of 4 foot depth would be good enough for good body conformation, as have decided that I can build a 24x12x? pond on top level of garden, thinking that 24 foot long would give more beneficial exercise than a 6 foot deep pond, reasoning is going to 6 foot, means more digging, more filtration, more medication costs, more heating costs Any thoughts?
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: is lengh more important that depth?

Post by benyiii »

Brek,

This is quite a popular topic on some of the malysian forums such as koi.com.my if your interested.

But the simple answer is a definative yes: David Soon runs a number of ponds as shallow as 3 foot with extemely high end koi and obviously achieve the results so there is no problem with a 4 foot pond

Ultimately if adding depth is going to allow more volume then obviously its good to go deeper to a point but if your simply saying your gonna build a pond of a given volume then its pretty much more surface area the better I think (again obviously to a point)

Ben
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Just read again, 6 foot is not too deep. It means you get more volume so obvously a good thing, but ultimately its a matter of waht you can afford to build/run. Better to run a small pond properly (tunover/temperature etc) than a larger not.
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

yeah was thinking 6 foot not too deep, thanks for your input, yes I want to run the pond properly within the budget I can afford, at 4 foot depth I get 7500galls, so a second hand fully loaded nexus will handle main filter duties and will poss use those new (to me anyway) sieves with more than one input to take the 2 x 4 inch BD feeds, and then pump to filter and gravity back to pond. I have an easy pod that I'll use as a gravity skimmer and pump back via water falls to pond.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Brek,

I think what they are saying is in some cases going to deep say more than 7ft is when the problems can start to come along and i think (not 100% sure) that its also to do with air going into the pond but it was a conversation a while back and i am getting old now :D

I am not sure on your location but i did see someone selling two Nexus 200 on here in the for sale section could fit the bill :idea:
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

aye they would fit the bill nicely, thinking of sticking to four foot as I have a five foot deep pond for tossai and they'll come out of that once at 60cm and will spend the rest of there life in a nice long pond with plenty of room.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Didnt work out the volume. Yes 7500 gallons will belarge enough for most and I can tell you will cost enough