Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Pond base thickness

Post by Jon W »

Hi Guys

Wonder if anyone can help with this one. I have started preparing the floor for pouring the concrete base. There is quite a slope along the length of the base (even with an 8 ton digger couldn't go any further down at one end). The substrate is red shale so no worries about movement. I am going to use rebar sheets and ready mix with fibres. The internal dimensions of the pond will be 20ft x 10ft x 6 ft deep = 34 tons water.

What do you think is the minimum depth of concrete for the base that will be structurally sound?

Cheers

Jon
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Pond base thickness

Post by Thorny »

Hi mate I would go with a minimum of 225mm at the highest point.
Justin
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Justin

Thanks very much. I thought it might be around that depth but just wanted to be sure. Starting to get a bit twitchy now that the reality of putting in the base approaches.

I've decided to try to even up the end of the base using a kangyo. This should save me quite a bit in extra readymix.

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi John,

I would go for a 9" base :D :wink:
mh4567
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mh4567 »

Hi i am no expert or structral engineer but i have laid a lot of concrete and that seems an awful lot of concrete, some lorry yards would only use up to 200mm (8 inch) with out the fibre mix, just remember the weight of the water is spread evenly , when i laid my base i laid a 100mm (4inch)base with mesh and 400x 200mm thickerning around the outside and it has not moved ,i hope this helps and as i say i am no expert or structral engineer.
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Russ Little Pond »

Give this a read - http://www.koicymru.co.uk/const2aa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Thanks everyone. I will make sure that there is a minimum of 9 inches. I'm not too concerned about it moving (solid rock underneath) more the total weith of water.

I've just spent a pleasant day removing slurry caused by rain knocking soil and rcok fragements into the bottom. I've also covered the sides with plastic too try and minimise erosion. Tommorows forecast of torrential rain should test whether this works!

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

Sounds like you've got it all sorted and lets hope the weather holds off a bit for you during the build :D
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

I didn't realise how much effort is required to just to keep a hole in reasonable condition. With current forecasts haven't a clue when I will be able to lay the base.

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

Well you did want a big one :shock: i think you've just got to pick a date and go for it as the longer it goes on the worse the weather is probably going to get :roll: