Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Pre filtration for Nexus units

Post by Jon W »

Hi guys

I wonder if anyone can help. I am still planning the filtration system for an 8K gallon pond. Part of the setup will be bakki showers but I am also going to run 2 Nexus 310's from the bottome drains. I would like to put some form of pre-filtration before them and I ain't particularly enamoured of the idea of sieves (having to run 2 pumps per drain line with an "equalisation loop" seems rather a waste of electricity). Can anyone think of an alternative that would fit the following criteria;

1. Easy to clean i.e. no brushes
2. Doesn't use a high volume of water to clean/purge. i.e. no standard size vortex or settlement chamber
3. Will be effective in removing larger solids/fish waste without ongoing risk of blockage e.g. no foam

The only thing I can think of is some sort of Easypod style diy job - I seem to remember Maurice Cox doing something similar for a customer but I can no longer find the pictures and descriptioin on the Koi UK site. Does anyone think this solution will work or think of an alternative?

Regards

Jon W
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Pre filtration for Nexus units

Post by Thorny »

Waste of time and money mate, let the Nexus do the work. Thats what they are designed to do. Are You going to return back from Nexus over showers?
Justin
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Justin

I thought there might be a few issues with the Nexus; I've witnessed a few ponds where they are the main source of mechanical and bio filtration and things have worked out too clever - admittedly they were on ponds that were quite heavily stocked and fed. I might put the return from one of the Nexus's over the shower along with the output of the skimmer which will probably go through a bubble or superbead for polishing. I am also going to build in some midwater feeds just in case.

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

I think the Nexus works well on its own and as long as they are set up correctly with the correct flow and maintained well they work a treat :D