A little advise needed on raised ponds

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dark-angels-40k
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

A little advise needed on raised ponds

Post by dark-angels-40k »

Hi there to you all, i'm new to the forum & need a little advise.

Im in the middle of digging my new pond 13ft x 11ft , i'm down at 2 & half feet, what I would like to find out is,

If I lay a 2ft brease block wall, face down on the pond coller, & raise the water level to the top or 6" from the top would the wall handle it ?

Thanks for you time guys :)
easylife
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: A little advise needed on raised ponds

Post by easylife »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

that is the same method i used for my build, 4" solids laid on their sides below ground then 4" solids laid upright tied to a facing brick and with a concrete back fill in the cavity , this was finished about 2 years ago and is still standing so must be ok :D :D

all the best with the build and if you need any help there are a lot of knowledgeable people ready to help
Alan
dark-angels-40k
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

easylife wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the forum

that is the same method i used for my build, 4" solids laid on their sides below ground then 4" solids laid upright tied to a facing brick and with a concrete back fill in the cavity , this was finished about 2 years ago and is still standing so must be ok :D :D

all the best with the build and if you need any help there are a lot of knowledgeable people ready to help
Alan
Hi Alan thanks for the reply.

Not quit what I ment,

What I ment was, I have dug down 2 & half feet, so that is just mud & clay ect ect, On top of that I have a 8 by 8icn concreate coller, So would I be able to lay a 2ft wall on that coller ?

Regards
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi,

I don't think it would be a good idea to put low density blocks on any pond as we want them to last so solid concrete blocks is the way to go in my opinion.
dark-angels-40k
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Gazza wrote:Hi,

I don't think it would be a good idea to put low density blocks on any pond as we want them to last so solid concrete blocks is the way to go in my opinion.
Hi Gazza.

The blocks that I have bought are the Heavy type NOT the light weight ones ;).
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Are you using a liner for the pond? From what you've described it sounds like you've put a collar in at ground level, then dug down inside it and then you're going to build a wall on top of the collar, right? If so dense concrete blocks on their side will be fine. You might want to think of some way to hide the liner at the top though, maybe having a course of engineering bricks to trap the liner behind and then put your capping on top - this will keep all the liner below the water level.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Someone did something like this a while ago on quite a big pond, can't remember who's pond or who did it TBH(or which BB it was on!!)

They put a wide/deep concrete collar and just dug out the earth below.
The earth was hard clay so the person building the pond used chicken mesh and fixed it to the hard clay surface walls and rendered a few coats over the top of the mesh.
A floor was laid, and if I remember correctly a face wall was then built on concrete collar I think walls were then rendered smooth and the fibreglassed. It was cheap and it looked the fantastic, cut down on a lot of hassle/expense.
Just make sure you know what you doing if you go this route
cheers
Carl
dark-angels-40k
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Hi guys, thanks for the help & advise.

Well I started laying my bricks yesterday but am quit a way from laying my last brick as I maid a little bit of a boo boo when I layed the concrete coller :(

As my garden is on a little bit of a slope, I layed a little too much concrete on 1 side, so after getting a little advise, I am now set with the task of leveling the line , but on the bright side this shoule be fun .

Oh an to top it off, today is a very wet day :(

Thanks guys.