Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

welsh_Koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

new pond

Post by welsh_Koi »

hello all,

Currently have a medium sized pond (11' L x 6' W x 2' D).

I'm not happy with the depth of the pond as i have a 10" Hikari, a 5" Ohgon and a 5" hikari with an orange face.

I am thinking of building a new pond but have a problem as i cant go down only up as i can only build on top of concrete, I was wondering if i could build the pond with out putting in foundations i want it to be 10' L x 5' W x 4.5' D would be 1401 Gallons.

i would love to be able to build the pond on top of the concrete.

1 more thing would a bottom drain be the best idea for the new pond as it is to late to add one to the original pond

thanks in advance :)

ashley
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: new pond

Post by colin »

Firstly hello and welcome to a wonderful website and the world of Koi and ponds......

So why can you not dig up the concrete (Kango) and go for a deeper pond?

Col :)
welsh_Koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by welsh_Koi »

colin wrote:Firstly hello and welcome to a wonderful website and the world of Koi and ponds......

So why can you not dig up the concrete (Kango) and go for a deeper pond?

Col :)
hello col and thank you

I cant go any deeper as it is right next to my house and next doors so the foundations of the house might get disturbed as they are 125 years old.
i can only build up as i don't want to damage the foundations or any pipes under ground.
i think i need to have a surveyor to come and tell me what can and cant be done i suppose.

i can upload pics of where i want it to go and of old pond if it would help.

thanks for your help

ash
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi,
Getting a surveyor in could well be a good idea! At least he should be able to advise you in what you could or can't do! Could actually end up saving you money rather than costing you it!
I'm guessing you want to get cracking and be building it now? But spending more time getting it right and more planning will work out your best option....

With regards to the bottom drain. How thick is the concrete that is in situ now? Just thinking that if you do end up having to build ontop of this concrtete,could you not kango a channel for the bottom drain pipework,then concrete into place?
Would type of lining are you after? Liner? Fibreglass?

Col :D

PS. Yes please to pics... We love pics here....
welsh_Koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by welsh_Koi »

hello
pics on the way just mislaid the cable

i am going to be doing this new pond in about a year or so as need to save up so i can afford the slabs and everything else.

at the moment i dont no how deep the concrete is as not dug it up (surveyor will hopefully tell me).

and i was thinking of putting the bottom drain under the pond and building it an extra slab high to accommodate the pipping.

thanks for your help

ash
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi Ash,

I look forward to the pics....
It's good that your planning and saving will take up to a year! plenty of time to get it right....
Any more questions fire away...

Take it easy

Col :D
judyanngee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by judyanngee »

If you get a surveyor in he may tell you that you can't build your pond there anyway because it is too near to the house :?
welsh_Koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by welsh_Koi »

judyanngee wrote:If you get a surveyor in he may tell you that you can't build your pond there anyway because it is too near to the house :?

im not getting a surveyor in as the are a costly extra just having couple of builders to give me ideas on my designs :)