Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Sieve Advice Please?

Post by Louie »

Hi,

I have a gravity fed Easy Pod that pumps into a bead filter and so on, but the Pod has needed flushing every other day recently as my pond ( 2 and a half years old) has started to shed it's top coat of muck constantly in small pieces. It's actually beginning to spoil the whole thing for me as I'm spending too much time maintaining the pond rather than enjoying it. I still have crystal clear water and healthy fish, but I'm getting seriously fed up with it and I'm worried about trusting someone to look after it when I go away.
I'm thinking that putting a sieve in front of the Pod might be the way forward. Or putting a sieve in front of the bead filter to replace the Pod even? That way I could then sell the Pod to help with the cost of the sieve. Or put it on the skimmer.
I'm looking at an Estrosieve at the moment that's up for sale, but don't know enough to make a decision. What particle size filtration should I be looking for, and should I run it before the Pod or just replace the pod with it? The pod is there purely as a mechanical filter although I'm sure it does do some bio work alongside the bead filter.
Any help\advice gratefully received!!

Louie :D :D
koicarpus
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Re: Sieve Advice Please?

Post by koicarpus »

Hi louie
If I were you I would go Sieve bead combo.
I have 2 cetus sieves and think they are great.
Don't worry about which micro screen to go for they will all do pretty much the same thing.
I have a Pod on my quarantine system which is 500g and undercover. I only have to clean it once a week but can imagine
how much of pain it would be if it was the main filtration on a pond.
Is your Bead man enough to look after the pond on it's own? If so sell the Pod, you won't look back after fitting a sieve.
All you need to do on the cetus is open the waste valve and hose the screen down, I don't even have to remove it, it's that simple, 30 second job!
Putting the Pod on the skimmer line would be a good idea,it would be a shame to loose biological filtration, but do you have many trees around, if so you'll be cleaning it every other day!
I live in Hastings and your more than welcome to take a look at my set-up.
Good Luck
Dave
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Thanks Dave,

My pond is 11,000 litres and heavily stocked. The PB85 bead filter that I use will sort out a 22,000 litre lightly stocked pond or 13600 litres heavily stocked (20Kg). So I'll take your advice and just go for the sieve. I'll put the Pod on the skimmer and sell my Waterco multi vortex which is currently on it.
Job Done!! :D :D :D
(Just need to convince the wife that it's money well spent!!) :shock: :shock:

Louie
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Well I bit the bullet and got myself a second-hand Estrosieve off Ebay yesterday. Going to collect it this morning. Six years old and £290. :shock: Mind you, seems like a bargain when you consider the cost of new midi sized sieves! :)

It's the stainless steel model, and someone has already managed to depress me by telling me that this model is being withdrawn and replaced with a plastic version. And also that the mechanism on them is prone to sticking! :?

I'm right on the edge of having sufficient water depth to operate the sieve, so no doubt will be on here shortly asking for advice on top-up mechanisms!

If anyone has any experience with an Estrosieve I'd be grateful for any advice or tips on how to get the best out of it!! :D :D

Louie