help need filter advic desparate

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

theduke900ss
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

help need filter advic desparate

Post by theduke900ss »

Last year i bought a house with a leaky pond.I had it fibreglassed and on the advice of the man doing the pond fitted a Kockney koi filter and an Oase aquamax 3000 pump.We kept the original bottom drain which is i think 2" or 2.5" when the pond was filled the gravity feed to the filter was not enough to keep pace with the pump and we had to restrict the flow.The problem is that the pond is always dirty green and the water flow is restricted and the drain needs constant cleaning as it gets blocked.I dont want to dig up the bottom drain any ideas please.(the pond is 1100 galls).Its got one bend at the drain then a t piece on the outside of the pond up to an elbow into filter with one gate type valve to let you clean filter.Have got Yamitsu algae master unit fitted new light tube and cleaned silica tube.What do you suggest i cannot get to the t piece to eliminate it as its buried in concrete.Should i go for a pump in the bottom of the pond feeding a pressure filter like an oase filtomatic or go for a pumped feed to the kokney filter but how would i do that and would the low pressure pipe take it ok.
judyanngee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: help need filter advic desparate

Post by judyanngee »

Sorry I can't really help you as I am an uneducted female as far as filters go :?

But I do know that you should NOT get a pressurised filter like the Oase one that you mention.

I know this because I had one on my first pond and it DID NOT WORK on a koi pond.

I got a lot of bacterial problems and I was constantly cleaning it (the filter)
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: help need filter advic desparate

Post by kayoss »

Hi Duke

My guess is that the bottom drain is blocked -

I'd expect a 2" pipe to manage 3000 lph quite easily, so would suggest there is a blockage in the bottom drain pipework -either crud or blanket weed. Either way it needs to be cleaned out before it causes health problems for your fish as well as flow problems in the filter. You might find one of these is long enough to clear your drain http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/monument-dr ... =205024632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go for a pump fed filter option, the crud in the bottom drain will get much worse and turn anaerobic unless you remove it or plug it properly - so don't think of just leaving it in situ.

The green water is more likely to be due to floating blanket weed if your UV is all working OK. Once you've sorted the flow problem, try treating the pond for blanket weed (if it still needs it!!)

Cheers

Bob