Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

oldgit
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

pond upgrade

Post by oldgit »

hi all
hopefully you can all see my simple drawing of what im planning for my pond in the summer.
the cutting of the pond base,digging down,building new base and blocks for the sides are all covered.im thinking of fibreglassing the new stuff.

my questions for you guys, the experts are as follow
should i when building up the new sides then try to join the blocks to the old base via maybe rods and resin(the circled bits on pic)im not sure of the pressure this may put on the old part of base and walls if not joined.
at the moment i only have one 1.5inch inlet in one corner 4inches down from surface.should i be looking at putting in maybe a midwater inlet too?
cheers darren
Attachments
2010-05-29_00001.jpg
2010-05-29_00001.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: pond upgrade

Post by Gazza »

Hi Darren,

Its hard to see from the picture as its a bit small but pond improvements are always a good idea and this is the best way to make sure you get them correct before you do them :D

I would make all the pipe work 2" as increases flow and if you can put a spare one in as you never know you may want to add something in the future.

Yes get it fiberglassed you will never look back and i think there is a bloke just up the road from you who can help.....and not only with the fiberglassing as he has built a few now has young Bob :wink:
oldgit
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: pond upgrade

Post by oldgit »

hi gazza
ive made pic bigger hopefully you can all see it better.yep i did mention to bob ages ago about possible job.
my only concern is if i cut a huge square in the floor am i making the sides weaker if i dont connect it to the new walls and base somehow?
cheers darren