filter conversion

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

filter conversion

Post by wilf »

Hi guys, I'm thinking of changing one of my Nitrotech 911 vortex's over to fluid K1 media , does anyone have any idea about how much of it I would need ? thanks.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: filter conversion

Post by eds »

The best idea is to fill the filter up to half full with K1 so it will fluidise ok. So whatever capacity your filters are; halve it!

And don't forget to take lots of pics of how you do it!
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

I've got the nitritech 911 converted to K1.

A friend of mine used a formula for the amount it could take, working it out with the dimensions of vortex, cone, etc.
From Memory I think he said I could 'max out' with 190 ltrs of K1 in each vortex, but I don't have that much.

I actually have around 140 ltrs in each of my 2 vortices along with bio chips(280 ltrs total aerated K1) and last chamber is a large jap matting cartridge, works a treat.

Ps.... I do have an empty 36" diam vortex as main settlement and a 24" vortex with 90 ltrs static K1 before the bio stage
wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by wilf »

thanks chaps, still in thinking mode at the moment but will post lots of pics when i get started
wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by wilf »

carlejo, have you got any pics on how you did yours?
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

i did have but I think I 'lost' on a picture hosting koi site.

I'll try and dig them out. Basically a guy in our local club had access to stainless steel sheet grids as his son in law worked for a food company. I gave some measurements to him of what I required and he made them up for me and I fitted them.
The only thing with the Nitritech system is that you will have to mechanically fix grids as nothing stick to the material their made from(HDPE).

Better still, get some of the 4" stainless tube from r i c h d o n koi and fit that to your exit from vortex/s to stop K1 going to next bio stage. You can fix them with rubber boots, it will run a lttle expensive but it will work very well..... the only thing is to then get some sort of grid to cover drains on vortex to stop it flushing to waste.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

wilf wrote:thanks chaps, still in thinking mode at the moment but will post lots of pics when i get started
Have you had a look at the conversion article on Maurice's website? Think those plans would work great on your filter with a little tweaking. Remember you can always run the static K1 filter design of his (like the ones on the farm) as fluidised chambers if you just keep the air running.
wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by wilf »

thanks carlejo, and yes ed i have seen the conversion on maurice's site perhaps i'll hang on and have a really good look and a chat with the man himself at the next open day . thanks guys. gary.