Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

electronic blanketweed eliminators

Post by fishyfingers »

Does anyone use any of these devices
- do they eliminate blanketweed successfully
-which model did u find works/or not
-are natural/chemical cures better
There are loads of stuff for us try but i would like to here from the most important people which are the guys with experience who have tried and tested these.
All opinions welcome.

:shock:
PS Iam i shift worker so please forgive late post and later replys. :) :roll: :roll:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: electronic blanketweed eliminators

Post by Thorny »

Rubbish, cloverleaf all the way mate, safe Your money
Justin
fishyfingers
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishyfingers »

Cheers Justin
With a couple of different manufacturers of these things some one somewhere must have tried them. :roll:
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Fishy

Absolute garbage, don`t waste your money.

Thinking back, I thought to myself "I had one of those from when they first appeared on the koi market, I`ll have a look in the cupboard."
Guess what, I`ve still got it! A Water King Electronic Blanketweed Controller, and unbelievably, inside the box was the original credit card receipt from November 98 for the grand sum of........ £112 !!!!!!!!!!! It all looks as good as new, so if you are interested in buying it, perhaps something could be arranged. :evil:

Chris :D
fishyfingers
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishyfingers »

Absolute garbage i wouldnt waste my money!!!! :lol:

Seriously how does it work and is it left on all the time. :shock:

Have not heard of this make before :roll:

Cheers :)
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Fishy,
So, despite Justin and me both advising you against these things, you`re still interested eh? :lol:

How does it work you ask, well, I`ll tell you the theory of what is supposed to happen. The thing itself is a little box of electronics, 10cms by 6cms, that you are advised to screw to a wall or something under cover, and adjacent to your pipework, to stop it from moving about. Out of the bottom of this box come two 210cm long wires that you have to wrap tightly round your filter return pipe, one clockwise and one anticlockwise, which are then secured with plastic zip tie things. OK, :wink:, still there? When you turn it on, "an LED will flash on the top of the unit, indicating that the controller has powered up and that the program is sequencing through the range of electronic frequencies". Apparently the range of randomly selected frequencies are then transmitted through the pipe, into the pond water, thus "controlling" the blanketweed. "In the first ten days you should notice the blanketweed ceases to grow, and then over the next three to six weeks to diminish". You are advised to leave it turned on all the time, until the winter, when you are told to turn it off till spring arrives.

Interestingly, having read through all the blurb in the instructions again, NOWHERE do they claim that the devise will KILL blanketweed, only `control` it. :lol: :lol:

I would say that the reason that you haven`t heard of this make before, is because they realised that the things were absolutely useless, and stopped making them. :lol:

I hope this helps in your decision

Chris :D

PS Have you considered magnets yet, these were also reckoned to kill blanketweed?
fishyfingers
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishyfingers »

Thanks Chris for your comprensive summary of what appears to be a total waste of money. Your type is obviously an electromagnetic type which you have pointed out. Other models seem to have copper electrodes which seem to partially dissolve in water killing green growth, but cannot be kept running all the time??????
No one seems to have anything good to say about these devices but still there are dealers willing to sell them,more power to the FORUM
Thanks Harry
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Harry,

I would steer clear of putting anything copper into a pond myself, copper is a bit deadly for Koi over anything more than minute levels. The idea of having electrodes disolving into the water, sends chills up my spine. Might be effective in a goldfish pond, as they are known to be a lot hardier, but Brrrrrr, not for Koi. :)

Chris