Filter Upgrade & Heater Install

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fishboyfishy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Filter Upgrade & Heater Install

Post by fishboyfishy »

Bored of waiting for spring, so decided that I would brave the weather and do the various upgrades to the filter that I had been umming and arrhing about for ages! :D

So first job was to change the slide valve for a ball valve, If you saw my build thread you would see that I forgot that the valve should be open when in normal use! this meant that I had to leave a brick out and operate the valve by putting my hand through the gap left in the wall and pulling :oops: So in went a ball valve!

Next was to change the pipework slightly to accomodate a 3KW heater that was kindly donated to me, Cheers Les! :D

Then I started on the K1 conversion.

I took the main idea's from various posts and the filters that Cuttlebrook use. I looked all over for a bin that would maximise the space available but be strong enough to cope with the various cutting about. Found this great bin on Ebay for £4.99 :D

I then cut the weir that separated bay 1 & 2 and removed this completely. I then added a a 4" pipe & bend in bay 2. Bay 3 will stay with the Alphagrog and the sponges to give a final polish.

After being on the pond for 2 days all seems well :D the thermostat on the heater will take a bit of getting used to, as The pond was at 12 degrees on Friday AM and I have raised the stat by 2 degrees a day, but pond is now at 18 :?

But the fish seem very happy and all seem very active and are constanly looking for food :D but they wont be getting too much for now, gently gently and all that :)
fishboyfishy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Filter Upgrade & Heater Install

Post by fishboyfishy »

Some photos'

New Valve
Ball Valve New.jpg
Ball Valve New.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Static Bay 1
Static K1 Bin.jpg
Static K1 Bin.jpg (53.62 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Fluid Bay 2
Fluid K1 Chamber.jpg
Fluid K1 Chamber.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
K1 Working.jpg
K1 Working.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 5976 times
Heater
Heater & UV Install.jpg
Heater & UV Install.jpg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Can't wait to get this all settled and I can pick up my new fish :D
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Filter Upgrade & Heater Install

Post by Casper Chapman »

Looking good, you have been a busy boy.

I cant recall how the thermostat worked, because I used it on 4000 gallons so it never really reached optimum temp.

Fish are still feeding well and temp is naturally creeping up......was 18.5 today.