Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Sequnce pump joint leaks

Post by Jon W »

Hi Everyone

I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences in installing Sequence pupmps. I have now rigged up 4 Sequence pumps. In each case the joint between pump casing and the double unioin connector leak profusely. I have used good quality double union joints on all. EA's instructions say to use PTFE paste to make double union joints to the pump casing waterptight - this results in even worse leakage than using tape. 3 of these pumps were installed on my friends pond and after 6 months they have gradually stopped leaking. I rigged one up on a shower yesterday and the same result. The only other pumps I have used are Aquamax and I've never had a similar problem.

I tend to use 4-5 turns of PTFE tape. I am doing something wrong? The only thing I can think of is that the threads on the pump casing are to a slightly different tolerance to those of industry standard connectors and therefore only work properly with EA fittings (or am I being cynical?).

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Regards

Jon W
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Sequnce pump joint leaks

Post by eds »

Jon W wrote:I tend to use 4-5 turns of PTFE tape. I am doing something wrong? The only thing I can think of is that the threads on the pump casing are to a slightly different tolerance to those of industry standard connectors and therefore only work properly with EA fittings (or am I being cynical?).
I've wondered similar things with other manufacturers fittings too so I think it's just about different manufacturing tolerances - but don't blame you for feeling like that! I know some threaded fittings are more tapered than others.

I've got so many different fittings on my pond pipe that I've used loads of threaded fittings and found they all leaked slightly with PTFE tape, but slowly the drips stopped. One way to absolutely stop any leaking is to clean the threads thoroughly with meths and put a thin ring of silicone sealant on the threads before you screw them together. Once it's dried (24hrs) then there are no leaks when I've done it. And, as the silicone doesn't really stick to the threads just fill the gap, you can still unscrew them fine when the time comes to take them apart.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Ed

Hadn't thought of using silicon or cleaning with meths. Thanks very much,I'll give it a go!

The only time I have had leaks is when the fittings have been in place for a year or two and then get moved. Then I find they start leaking and O rings and PFTFE have to be replaced.

Cheers

Jon
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I've got two older models from before EA took over the sales and they've been great with no leaks so not sure why that's happening. Do they move in use or are they leaked after you've moved them?

Coincidentally I'm going to take mine off and clean the impellors today so I wonder if mine will leak now?!!!
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Ed

These have all been brand new pumps - we installed 3 on my mate's pond and they all leaked quite badly at initial installation. After 6 months they have stopped leaking. I tried to install another new on a shower yesterday but have turned it off because it leaks so badly and also makes a dodgy sounding clicking noise.

I guess if you're cleaning the impellors it might be an idea to put new PTFE tape around the thread because I always find that any pump that has been running for a while that has the joints disturbed tend to leak.

Cheers

Jon