UV qurtz glass degradation

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fkn001

UV qurtz glass degradation

Post by fkn001 »

I have seen it mentioned in a few places that quartz sleeves is a wearable item, that is, it is being degraded by the UV light, up to 25 % reduction in light transmission per season (6-7 months), and as such should be replaced on a regular basis just like the lamps/tubes.

Does anyone KNOW if this is really true, and does anyone here replace their sleeves on a regular basis ?

mind you, this "knowledge" comes from folks that SELL sleeves :D

sake good order, one of the largest wholesellers in Europe, SIBO, claims this degradation thing

http://www.sibo.nl/pdf/Engels/07%20UV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;%2 ... ENGELS.pdf

where it says

Quote :

UV-C TL LAMP SET code 805
Complete set with high quality TL lamp (10.000 working hours!),
quartz sleeve & O-rings. For optimal results it is better to replace
the quartz sleeve on a regular basis. A quartz sleeve does wear
out and exposes already 25% less radiation after 1 year of use!

Unquote

/Flemming
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: UV qurtz glass degradation

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Flemming,

I wouldn`t worry too much about changing your tubes regularly, I would say that what you have been reading is a sales pitch.

Really, it all depends on your source water, and wether or not there is a lot of calcium in it. It is this that can form a film over the glass surface, and so reduce the UV`s performance. All you have to do is `carefully` take the uv to pieces every once in a while, and give it a good wash to remove any deposits. And thats it, unless you are not carefull of course, then you WILL have to buy a new tube. :D

Chris