nexus with cetus sieve

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

gooner
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

nexus with cetus sieve

Post by gooner »

hopefully i will be uprading the pond this year . going from pump fed to a gravity fed system. i have a multibay with a cetus sieve . thinking about getting a nexus and using the cetus sieve in front. does anyone use these two together.any advice on how best to work the two together would be welcome.
many thanks ron
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: nexus with cetus sieve

Post by eds »

If you're using them together on one feed (say from a bottom drain) then you either need a pump to pump the water from the sieve and an 'equalising pipe' between the sieve and nexus and then pump back to the pond (meaning two pumps - one basically wasted effort IMHO). Or you need to gravity feed to the sieve and then pump into the nexus sited above the pond's water level which then returns to the pond via gravity.

Or even better stick the nexus on the bottom drain and put the seive on the skimmer feeding a shower!

BTW there are instructions on how to install the two pump option on the EA site on a pdf.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Yep agree a bizarre idea considering leccy prizes these days. Would definatelt go for eds option. If you didnt want to use a shower (which note you can site away from the pond) following the sieve on the skimmer line then you could use a small eco type bead instead.

Ben
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

isn't the point of the sieve to catch the crap before it hits the bio stages? not sure I see the point in running it on a skimmer myself, wouldn't it be better to run sieve GF of BD and then have skimmer feeding nexus? just thoughts, no experience of either setup.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Yes the sieve prior to nexus idea is to cut down on maintenance of the nexus. But nonetheless its crazy to run two pumps, if the nexus really cant handle being on the BD then use a filter that can :roll:

Anyway as eds said the best for sure would be to use the seive as a prefilter to a shower.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

The only reason I said the nexus on a BD and sieve/shower one the skimmer was that that is how lots of people seem to do it! I assume as they can then switch the sieve shower off over winter if they want.

Personally (as much as I like my K1 filter conversion on my main koi pond) it'd be sieve/shower all the way on both for me if I could. The way the shower on my QT deals with 16 fish up to 50cm in 400g of water is amazing, and they're still growing!
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

Ahh right, yeah that makes sense, I would run a skimmer when I get one in the same way, although would try sieve on BD, as I do not get any leaves falling into my pond as netted when I am not there, and covered over winter, so sieve not needed to catch leaves from the surface. Always good to ask questions as the answers are usually useful! 8)