Bacteria house media

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Johnny_Boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Bacteria house media

Post by Johnny_Boy »

how do peeps! not my area of expertise this, does anyone know how much water 10kg of baccy house media will filter in a shower filter?? Thinking of adding one to the pond alongside the nexus but need to know how much to buy. It aint got to do the whole pond but would still like to REALLY over filter as i want some big koi over the next couple of years and want to be sure the pond copes. Dont get me wrong i'm no going to overstock, but i want to get the best water i possibly can!!

John
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Bacteria house media

Post by Gazza »

Hi John,

I think a single set of showers can filter 2000 gallons and i believe has 50kg of BHM.

Hope this helps.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

However I think this is a far more accurate description of what a filter can achieve compared to all other manufacturers. If you worked the same way they do you might say it did 5k. I think as long as you get the correct turnover over it a single with say 5-7boxes will handle a hell of a lot of food.
Johnny_Boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Johnny_Boy »

I want to get some of the baccy house media but i really cant bear to part with £140 for one box of the stuff, especially when i would need 4-5 to fill my shower that i bought of Dunc. I may try some crystal bio (which to be fair looks like a very similar product at about half the cost) or even start with some alphagrog and see how that goes, as its not my sole means of filtration i'm not gonna worry too much as long as i can see some benefit.

So i suppose the questions are these.....How effective will alphagrog be (i know a few of you have used it in showers before so how did it go), and has anyone used crystal bio yet, if so how does that compare to baccy house?

failing that has anyone got any old baccy house lying about not being used :wink: :wink:

John
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Casper Chapman »

I personally do not think anything compares to Momotaro BHM.
With regards filtration, I ran a 4000 gall pond with a 4 tier single set using 7 boxes of BHM (BHM broken into 3 pieces) and pumped 15000 ltr over it and also had a single Nexus.
I got pretty good growth even with that.

The whole idea of BHM is to put as much water over them as possible, not sure you can do that with other media's.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

I was in the same position as you as I have a 4 tier version of the shower you have got. I just used the plastic stuff which is actually ok for six months before getting the BHM. Certainly pointless on spending decent money on the bio, (which is completely different to BHM) to then replace later.
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

How do you break up the BHM?, as I am very interested in getting some, at the price it is do not want to waste any by causing it to break up into smaller dust particles!
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Casper Chapman »

I use a bolster chisel, but make sure you rinse it before putting it into the showers as you will get small particles that end up on the pond floor.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

I just bash it together seems to do the trick :D
sexykoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by sexykoi »

Hi There, Just to give you some advise, I have Bakki Showers and have used them for over four years. I have two ponds and have use Bakki Showers as the only filtration after a sieve. Two years ago I removed the Bakki house Media from one shower and used another pebble kind of pores rock on the second set of showers and slowed the water flow by half. To be totally honest that shower and pond is working far better than than the one with all the Bakki house media and huge water flow. The water conditions are very similar on both ponds and some fish have even grown bigger. The water on the pebble kind of media pond is like glass and the clarity is superb even without polishing it. This is a true account of what I have learnt through my experiment.
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi sexykoi what is the name of the media you are now using and where did you get it?

cheers
stu
Bruised Knee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Bruised Knee »

Hi Sexykoi

I've recently installed my bakki and have around 60-70kg of BHM in my showers. Would also be interested to hear about this new media. I see also you're selling a double bakki at a very good price, what filtration are you using now?

Yip