uv advice please

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

bradders
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

uv advice please

Post by bradders »

hello all,i have a problem with my 55watt uv which i have had for 2years without any problems until now.I ordered a new bulb which i installed without any problems until i switched it on and the electrical box decided to start smoking and became very hot.On further inspection i found water had somehow got inside the covered electrical box,its a melted mess.Is there any way back ? is it repairable or do i call it a day and replace the whole thing? :( many thanks Dave
wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: uv advice please

Post by wilf »

hi dave, is it a tmc uv? if yes i had a problem with the plastic piece that has the fuse in it on mine and i found the very same piece in maplins for about £1.50 i also changed the capasitor on it as well both of my 55's are working fine now hope this helps. gary.
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

All bits in the box can be bought separately from electrical type stores or DIY and are quite easy to change. Make sure you write down the info from the current choke and starter before going out to buy the pieces.

Note wiring positions down on a bit of paper before starting. Don't forget to disconnect from mains first.

Dave
bradders
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by bradders »

thanks for the swift replies,i changed the melted starter and the piece it sits into but not sure what the metal box-like section that smokes is called,would that be the capasitator you refer to? cheers Dave
wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by wilf »

no if its the big metal box it will be the transformer
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Yes, it's the transformer (choke). Get a new one for a 55W tube, for best performance they shouldn't be too big or small

Dave
bradders
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by bradders »

Thats great thanks very much.I will replace the transformer and see what occurs.Thanks again, Dave