Advice on Direct to metal non toxic paint please

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Advice on Direct to metal non toxic paint please

Post by Limey »

Any advice on a good non toxic direct to metal paint - outside use? Wont be in contact with pond/qt water but will be close. Hammerite is excellent but toxic to fish of course... could that be used and then maybe sealed?

Also want to paint the outside of a fibreglass tank black - paint advice? The area I want to paint will not come into contace with water/fish.

I await your advice, thanks :)
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Advice on Direct to metal non toxic paint please

Post by eds »

To be totally safe I'd be thinking of using G4 but you might have to use a primer underneath to get it to stick! I haven't done it myself though; it's just my first thought.
Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Limey »

Thanks eds that seems best way to go.
Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Limey »

hmm just checking on this... isn't G$ good for concrete - I need to cover steel... any further adice...?
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Dave

Many products (including the Dan Brevan sealant that was very popular a couple of years ago) state that they are toxic in the aquatic environment. However, this usually applies to the uncured/wet product and they are often perfectly safe once they are fully cured and/or dried.

As the steel will not be in direct contact with the pond or QT water, I'd think Hammerite or similar would be perfectly safe unless you're thinking of painting a metal roof that rain will run off of into the pond. You'll just need to protect the pond and QT from splashes and spills during application and the drying process.

I think it would be worth contacting the manufacturer and asking them the question. Try ICI PAINTS Technical Group, Wexham Road, Slough, Berks. SL2 5DS Telephone: 0870 242 1100

Cheers

Bob
Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Limey »

Thanks for advice Bob, will follow it and check.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Limey wrote:hmm just checking on this... isn't G$ good for concrete - I need to cover steel... any further adice...?
I know you need to cover steel, that's why I suggested it would need a primer. A metal specific paint could well be better if it's definitely non-toxic but with G4 you at least know it is going to be safe as it is designed for underwater use in ponds.
Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Limey »

yup understand now, thanks my mate.