Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Ben's RO

Post by benyiii »

Heres my system:

PRE-FILTRATION

Household water softener - 5 Micron sediment - large blue carbon cyclinder - 20" 1 micron sediment (important to completely protect membranes)

RO BOARD:

Low pressure switch (turns pump on when feels pressure (protects pump from running dry)) - 80psi booster pump - Pressure Gauge - 4 100gpd membranes in series (soon to be 5 depending on initial running) - pond

Automatic flush
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Ben's RO

Post by benyiii »

benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Ok so having set it all up yesterday on my return tonight managed to do all the leak checks and a quick test.

The results with only 4 membranes in series with hopefully another to be added to further improve the situation were:

Product: 1200lpd, 263ukgpd, 317usgpd, 10TDS

Waste: 490 lpd, 107ukgpd, 129usgpd, 1040 TDS

So thats 71% efficiency with cold water
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ben,

About time mate i thought you was never going to get it done :wink:

Looking good mate and i knew you would get it sorted and it will be good to see how it performs over the coming months.
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi Ben
Looks very neat! A good product flow rate as well! Would you know what temperature your feed water to the unit is? And what size flow regulator are you using?

Thanks

Colin
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

The flow restrictor is the 450 one. Not sure on the tap, whatever it normally is this time of year Im not sure will test tonight for you. Am doing further tests as between myself an alan we need to work out whether to run 4 or 5 membranes, with or without pump. As I dont want to push the efficiency over 80%, although it is a nice feeling to know your system can do it if you wanted.
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Hi Ben,

What do you put the high efficiency down to ?

Is it the softener or the boost pump? I'm running the 3 x 150gpd system and am getting nowhere near your results.

Dave
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Im not 100% sure on this but I dont believe a softener makes it more efficient. But rather allows you to push the membranes harder wirhout wrecking and so get better results.

I think the new pump is importnat I believe. Also I have 4 membranes in series which is the main point. This I could not do without softener, and i certainly couldnt have a fith. Im not sure if I will be able to add a fith and run the pump as I think this wouuld perhaps be too hard even with the softener. As I wrecken based on my test that with a fith and warm tap water I could have over 80% efficiecny which as I say i think too hard. I will aim to maintain 70-75% throughout year.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

By the way on importance of pump I tested tonight without the pump, think my tap has about 60-70psi and the outpot dropped by about half and the ratio was down to 63%.