Running a shower / trickle filter in the winter

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

ajb
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Running a shower / trickle filter in the winter

Post by ajb »

Do people run these types of filters in the winter? I'm experimenting with one for my QT and with large amount of contact between cold air and the media, I think it's cooling my water - which is a bit counter productive. Any thoughts / advice please?

Is it possible to run a tricle/shower type of filter submerged in the winter and lower the water level in the summer so it becomes a proper tricle/shower filter?

Adam.
steveW
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Running a shower / trickle filter in the winter

Post by steveW »

Its usually reccomended that any water fall type equipement is switched off during the winter due to it reducing the pond temperature excessively :(
i am sure someone with Shower experience will tell you wether they can be turned off or not
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Casper Chapman »

Just build a cover around them and keep them on, or put them indoors.
Speak to or visit Darren at A4KOI, he is just down the road from you.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Adam,

I have a shower and it runs 24/7/365 and it has a cover around it so i don't chill the water as much as it would indeed chill the water during the colder weather.Many of us do turn showers in winter we just cover them and also some run them but have them in there filter house .

I would agree with Les you local to Darren at A4 Koi and it is well worth a visit and can see how his set up as his main pond has showers running in a filter house so everything is out of the way.