RO Alterations

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Re: RO Alterations

Post by Brek »

Just ordered my RO, with a tap water kh of 4 dh and a gh of 8dh do you think I can skip the softener?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Brek,

I use one as my water is very very hard and i have found that i get a much better flow and the membranes last longer. I also run an auto flush system which flushes the system regularly so that any waste gets put out ASAP which i believe also helps with the life of the membranes.
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

Mine has a pump that flushes whenever its turned on, so been advised to get a timer plug to do that regularly, my water is not hard, mod hard.
Koi Rabbit
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Koi Rabbit »

Hi Gazza
Just have my Ro up and running the pressure is at 60 psi but getting about 40 tds is this about right as someone said I should be getting near 10 tds could it be the pressure or do I need to change the membrains?

Thanks
Koi Rabbit
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Koi Rabbit :D ,

How long have you had the system and has it been run before or is it a new unit :?:
Koi Rabbit
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Koi Rabbit »

Hi Gazza
I bought it second hand and been putting it on and off for a few hours a day on the tank as I don't want the Ph and Kh to drop to quick at the moment 7.9 from 8.5 and kh 6 from 9 but only 500 gal tank and been running just over a week.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you all

That
Rabbit
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

I have been reading this thread with interest and notice there have been a few developments since I last run my RO setup. Mainly the introduction of water softening units before the membranes and automatic flushing. I live in a soft water area but due to heavy metals in the tap water, I have decided to run it again. Mine is set up so that the waste from the first unit goes into the next unit and so x4 then a 450 restrictor at the end the clean water are all in parallel. This gives me a really good rate at the moment but worry my membranes might not last as long as I would like. Do you guys think I need an automatic flushing system and or a water sofener prior to the membranes. tap water has a G.H of 4d.H and a TDS of 70ppm. It has been suggested to me before that due to a very low TDS backflushing would not be neccessary.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

I think the auto flushing is a good idea on any system so well worth installing one.

I have got to sort my RO set up out as i have had some problems with pumps and the system is not doing to well at the moment and another job that needs tending :shock: :roll:
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Good luck with that Gazza. There always seems to be something need doing. Best Regards Dave