Anoxic Filtration with biocenosis baskets

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

ajb
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Anoxic Filtration with biocenosis baskets

Post by ajb »

I read a 2 part article on anoxic filtration in koi carp magazine recently and found the priciples, simplicity and advantages compelling.

I am new to the hobby and have been reading various texts and this forum, and have not come across much other information on anoxic filtration and using biocenosis baskets. Most of the filtration information I've seen is about having oxygen rich biological filtration.

I am interested in your thoughts on and experiences with anoxic filtration. So, a few questions:

Does anyone employ anoxic filtration with biocenosis baskets? If so, how have you found it?

If you don't use it, have you chosen not to, and what reasons have stopped you?

Regards

Adam
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Anoxic Filtration with biocenosis baskets

Post by colin »

Hi Adam,

I'm surprsed nobody has answered to your post. I have read up on Anoxic Filtration myself and like you found it rather interesting. I don't have anything to add on the subject myself, but when the day comes when I build my own main pond it will be filtered by the way Dr Novak describes and am looking forward to it.
Have you tried this site for info? http://www.essexsection.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( MUCH THANKS TO DR NOVAK AND THE OWNER OF THE SITE! ) might be info you have read in the magazine as I think the author of the article is the same chap whose website the link goes to, Manky Sanke?

Let us know how you get on..

Colin :)
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I don't think anyone replied as I don't think anyone's using it! From what I see just a couple of people are trying it out at the moment.

It sounds interesting but I'm not prepared to chuck out my shower and K1 yet.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

From what I have seen and im always open for discussion, these systems that are using these setups are not what I call "True" Koi ponds, what I meen by that and I dont want to put noses out of joint but im just saying it how I see it.

These ponds with these running are like wildlife ponds, nice ponds don't get me wrong but they are not ponds that have been designed or are being run to grow on "High" quality Koi.

I have yet to see a pond running these setup that has "Show" class koi in it or Koi that we would call "High" qualty.

Im not saying this does not work, as I have not really paid any intention in the makings of it as I have no intention in straying away from my K1 and Bakki Shower BHM setup, im just saying that I need to see with my own eyes a pond running this setup, proving that it can cope with a high turn over, it can cope with summer feeds up to 12 times a day and still be fairly maintenance easy like my current setup.

Until then, i'll leave the baskets in the potting shed and leave the cats to do their business with the media :lol: :wink:

And with the quote above.
might be info you have read in the magazine as I think the author of the article is the same chap whose website the link goes to, Manky Sanke?
That information on that site is only there with permission of DR Novak it has nothing to do with Cyanide Sid, so your thanks should go to Dr Kovak

Graham
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

And special thanks to you Graham for the correction.

Colin :)
Gin Rin
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Gin Rin »

LakesideLad wrote:From what I have seen and im always open for discussion, these systems that are using these setups are not what I call "True" Koi ponds....
Graham
Quote from the article linked too...
"The pond has a capacity of a little more than 14-thousand gallons, is 7 1/2-feet deep (with two bottom drains with air attachments), by 30-feet long, and is now home to twenty very nice large Koi; at least nine of them are upper show quality fish."

If that isn't a "True" Koi pond, I don't know what is.

However, I remain a skeptic about the biocenosis baskets as a filtration system.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

As I mentioned earlier, I shall wait till I see something with my own eyes. Some peoples show koi are other peoples pond fillers.

Graham
ajb
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by ajb »

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I plan to upgrade my filtration system next year and am looking into different ways I can do it. Anoxic filtration is one of my options, and it's the alleged nitrate removing feature I'm most interested in. I was hoping to hear an account from someone who's employed the system - either rating it or warning not to use it, but from the responses so far:

- there have been no personal accounts of using the system
- some enthusiasm for and scepticism over it's potential application for koi keeping.

From a personal perspective, I am interested in a filtration system that will give my koi a great environment to grow and develop as best they can. I'll post another thread about my set up and upgrading my filtration.

Happy holidays.

Adam
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Adam,

i think it may be an idea to start a new post on what set up you have telling us all about the pond and filtration as it is and then what you are looking for the upgrade to do and then that will throw up more responses of peoples thoughts and workings which may help you get a better spectrum on things.
ajb
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by ajb »

Gazza,

Thanks; I will structure a new post in the manner you suggest.

Regards

Adam