Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Public liaibility and koi ponds

Post by Jon W »

Hi All

Slightly odd enquiry but I thought someone out there might have some knowledge/experience. The charity I work for has a fairly large informal pond (with koi of course!) in Cardiff. The grey spectre of health and safety has loomed. Apparently measures need to be taken to prevent members of the public from drowning themselves whilst in the vicinity. Suggestions so far have included fencing (potentially expensive), rigid netting (expensive and impractical for the size of the pond) or filling it in!

I have visited all sorts of public facilities which have ponds and lakes where there are no warnings other than "No Swimming". I presume that they don't all have massive public liability insurance.

Does anyone have any idea of what security measures are required to satisfy health and safety law whilst still enabling reasonable access?

Thanks very much.

Jon W
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Public liaibility and koi ponds

Post by Casper Chapman »

I would suggest you actually speak to your Insurer or Broker as they would have visited the site initially before taking on the PL risk. You might find it could reduce your premiums if covered.
fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Public liaibility and koi ponds

Post by fishy hands »

start keeping pirhana in your pond and if someone falls in no one will know :) maybe just a water change to clear the redness away :D