Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

taxikoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

pergola

Post by taxikoi »

Hi.

I am thinking of a pergola over my pond which measures 4.5 mtr by 3.3 mtr.[Pond is in full sun almost all day]
Does any one know which is the best wood to use which is not too expesive.
I have heard that tanalised wood is treated with toxic chemicals and would leach into pond when it rains
If this wood is treated with cuprinol would it be safe, or after a while when weathered would cuprinol wear off and tanalised would be exposed to rain again and then not safe to pond.
Also what sort of roof cover is be best to use [not polycarbonate/too expensive]

Thanks Taxikoi
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: pergola

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Taxi,

When I built MY pergola, must be around 20 years ago now, all I used was plain old untreated pine/softwood. A couple of coats of Sadolin wood preserver stuff, and that was it.

Its easiest to treat the wood before assembling the pergola, to make sure that no drips fall into the pond, and it also ensures that every bit of wood is covered.

As regards to what to use for your cover/screen, I used a darkish blue mesh type fabric, but I think that particular firm has gone out of business. What I would suggest you do though is to get in touch with Jules, (mod on here) as I`m certain that he has stocks of a similar type of fabric. His web site is at the bottom of the page, Jewels Ponds and Gardens.
Take a look at a post by Gazza, he`s got the cover from Jules on HIS pergola, on the picture on his avator thingy.

Chris (another one)
taxikoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by taxikoi »

Hi Chris.
Thanks for advice is pergola still standing today, also how often do you nead to reaply sadolin.

Taxikoi
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

Hi

as far as i'm aware the only fish safe sadolin is Classic, i wrote to them and they confirmed it's ok to use, but, to be on the safe side i treated all my decking over the filter with classic, let it dry for two weeks then fitted.

Cheers, pete
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I've built a couple of large pergola's using tanalised timber. Both were covered with poly carb though. I think the tanalising process has changed and arsenic isnt used anymore.

I also laid decking a few years back up to the pond edge, this was tanalised and no Koi ever came to any harm either.
herbie
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark
Location: Tonbridge. West Kent. almost Sussex/Surrey. Senior Structural Technician(Retired due to my MS)

Post by herbie »

I built my Pergolga 6 years ago & when I change it I had to get more
wood and it's tanalised but theres nothing toxic in the stuff they treat
the timber with anymore so you should be OK. I painted the post with a
sealant.

Best Regards
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

taxikoi wrote:Hi Chris.
Thanks for advice is pergola still standing today, also how often do you nead to reaply sadolin.

Taxikoi
Hi Taxikoi,

Yes, it`s still standing, and good as it was, fabric as well. Having initially given the wood two GOOD coats of sadolin, I`ve never had to re-do it since. And it was Sadolin Classic I used, a green tin if I remember correctly. :)

Chris (another one)
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

My deck over the filter is simply pressure treated and I'll use a water based treatment when it needs redoing too. I used sadolin on my last deck and I hated the glossy finish. It also peeled off where the decking panels were removed and replaced and exposed untreated wood which rotted.
stephenpeter4
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by stephenpeter4 »

The modified Boucherie process consists of placing freshly cut, unpeeled timbers onto declining skids, with the stump slightly elevated, then fastening watertight covering caps or boring a number of holes into the ends, and inserting a solution of copper sulfate or other water- borne preservative into the caps or holes from an elevated container.

Treated Pine Timbers