pump feed to retro bottom drain

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dazzafjr1300
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

pump feed to retro bottom drain

Post by dazzafjr1300 »

here is my first bit of plumbing thats going in to pond ,i have done filters ect but nothing like this what i would like to know is have i got it right :?: ,i have made sure all the cable clips are trimed and no sharp bits at all anywere, i dont want to undo any bits as i have been playing in the shed on this for a week on and of and the oase fitting to change to this were not cheep as i am sure a lot here will know,
but what this thread might do is give others who have not done it a idea and if i have got it wrong then the threads left will help others to get it spot on
Attachments
DSCF5983.JPG
DSCF5983.JPG (133.47 KiB) Viewed 14603 times
Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: pump feed to retro bottom drain

Post by Limey »

That looks dangerous :).

Personally I have no experience of putting anything like that in the pond.. but what I would do is get a big roll of something like electricians tape and run my hands all ove and any corner bump etc I would cushion with several rounds of that tape. I would try and imagine if say one of the koi flew into it at a high rate of knots for whatever reason what is worst damage could be done... a few turns of the tape can just make a little cushion - just my thoughts and good luck when it goes 'live'.

regards Dave
cupid koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cupid koi »

Hi dazz
looks neat and tidy,BUT as a bin there done that person :P i can give you two options
1,remove the 45deg bends that are together,run pipe straight to pump,you will have to support pump with something this will give you up to 30% more pull from bottom dome.
2 this is how mine is running,fix pump straight on top of dome run pipe then 45deg bend up to wearever your going. this way you get full draw from pump.

hope this helps

mick
dazzafjr1300
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dazzafjr1300 »

here is mark two i have taken advice and altered the swept bend a bit from 90 degrees to 45 degrees and i must admit it looks beter and i can see what you ment ,it was one of those jobs i put on paper looked good got the bits and here we are on mark 2 lol i will leave till next weekend so any glue in there is not going to harm my fish as this time of year i dont need any ill koi
Attachments
DSCF5979.JPG
DSCF5979.JPG (132.03 KiB) Viewed 14519 times
cupid koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cupid koi »

Thats a little better,i still would loose the cable ties and use tape or thin string, the fish will still swim under pipe
possably injuring themselves.

mick
dazzafjr1300
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dazzafjr1300 »

will look in to the ties you might have a good point there not sure about tape as the stuff might come lose float in to pump and jam it i might cut a small dia pipe up slide it overair line and solvent weld that to the main feed ? what you think
cupid koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cupid koi »

Yep, sounds like you got a plan there go for it :)

mick