Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

easylife
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Pond Cover Problems

Post by easylife »

Hi,
I have just finished my pond cover ready for the coming winter, It is timber frame with poly carb sheeting it has a fall of around 2" but on testing the water flow away, the water finds the joints in the polycarb and dumps in to the pond instead of flowing down the polycarb and away from the pond

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how was it sorted
Cheers Alan
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Pond Cover Problems

Post by Louie »

Hiya....

I had problems with water (and snow) build up on my cover last year and solved the problem by actually making holes in the cover to let the rainwater escape into the pond. I don't think it affected the performance of my cover at all and It certainly didn't bring the water temperature down. I wouldn't worry about it.
Louie
easylife
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by easylife »

Louie,
Thanks for the reply
The rain water chilling the pond water was my main concern, but i guess the cover will still help the pond retain more heat than an uncovered pond
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Alan,
Perhaps I`m missing something here?, but have you thought of covering all the leaking joints between the sheets
with duct tape?

You CAN buy purpose made plastic joining strips that the sheets just slide in to, that are used when building shed/conservatory roofs, but good old silver duct tape should do the job.

Chris (another one)
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

As Cris said good old duck tap. but the main job of a cover IMO is to cut out that nasty ice cold wind that just sucks the temp. out of you water.
Unless you are heating then I can see you don't want to be heating rain water if we get a wet winter, but then again if it is a wet one perhaps it won't be so cold , hopefully .

Terry
easylife
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by easylife »

Chris,
I did think of the purpose made plastic strips but that was going to throw up other problems

I didn't think of duct tape which is so cheap and easy :oops: :lol:
being an ex moto crosser this option should of been obvious as it was what my bikes were held together with :lol:
thanks guys Alan