Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Pond Returns

Post by stuboy00 »

hi guys

need some advice on my returns, how many should i install? what position should they be placed? and is 1 1/2" pipe suitable for the returns?

please help me :(

stu
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Pond Returns

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi,

Two inch pipework is the way to go, less restriction & loss of flow. The number of returns will depend on size of pond & how many bottom drains & skimmers etc...

You will get different opinions on depth of returns, mid water returns are commonly used but recently returns at a depth of about 18 inches are being recommended by some. Over the top returns are good in summer free air!

Regards....Martin.
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi martin

1 skimmer and 1 bottom drain, pond size roughly 7800gal depth roughly 2m will have a waterfall for summer use, pump wise i have a sequence 11000 for the skimmer and a yammit2 for the main filter pumps roughly 3600gal per hour
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Stu,

If it were my pond I would install 4 returns, all in 2" pipes. I would also install them just under the water surface, or even above the water surface for free air as already posted. As for where to position them, only you can decide. I would put them on the back of the pond though in deffering positions, so that they do not interfere when standing and looking in the pond at your Koi and the water surface being distrubed. My returns are above the waterline and the free air add's the waht is in the pond and allows for failure of air pump, with the free air as back up. I'm not one of those people who says you have to have them low down to create a current, or to sweep all the muck into bottom drains. Wherever they return they will create a current and Koi move crap about on their own, it all ends up down the bottom drains!

I say 4 returns, as you never know what you will add on in the future and it saves having to then add on later and make not so easy alterations. If they are below the waterlevel, just fit a ball valve and leave them until you need them.

You will get differing opinions on: how many, what size and what depth, you then have to decide what 'you' want to do. There is no magic answer with this, or many other options with Koi keeping!

By the way, 7800 gallon pond, you need at least 2 bottom drains and I would also increase your turnover. 3600 gallons is 'old' thinking, you need 5000 to 8000 gallons to get the right turnover and water quality. Also you need very efficient filtration, probably of a large size, what are you intending to fit?
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi bob
was going to use a home made nexus filter but shouldnt be too hard to fit 2 home made nexus's via 2 B/D's? as for the returns how would i connect them up? each with its own valve to restrict the flow?

stu
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Stu,

Whatever filter you are using, if you are gravity feeding them from a bottom drain each, then the return pump goes after the filter. The pump as long as it is correctly sized for the filter, would not need restricer valve after the pump. But in case you ever need to remove a pump, it is best to fit valves either side of the pump within a short distance of the pump, so the pump can be isolated.

Dont use slide valves, you'll regret it in a short while, they usually let by and then leaks occur if you do remove the pump. Definitly dont use on filter waste's, as if they let by you are losing water all of the time. Buy double union ball valves and if you are using waste pipe you'll need the inserts for each end. 2" double union ball valve and 2 x inserts are around £16-£20 and well worth the money. So you'll need 4 of these, 2 for each pump.

Do try and get the right pump though, as if the pump is too powerfull and you do have to restrict the flow, you will just be wasting electricity. Utility charges are the downfall of many avid koi keepers, it can really add up over a year.