Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Major pond re-build

Post by stuboy00 »

hi people
i have decided to bite the koi bullit and rebuild my pond at the mo it is a 4400gal quarter circle shaped pond, keeping the same shape but making it roughly 2m deep, fitting 3 1m x 1m windows on the front but insted of using block i am using 150mm kingspan board for the base and walls supported with 4no stainless steel retaining bands on the outside so it wont blow out, i wont be using fiberglass either i am a roofer to trade an we work with a material called sarna it is best described as a rubberised torch on felt and no its not going to kill the fish we did my bosses pond with it, filtration will be the 2 50gal drums 1 fluid k1 1static k1 which i am using currently will be adding another 4 50gal barrels with assorted media and jap mat, pump wise i have a sequence 11000 and trying to get my hands on a yamitsu argonaught 3600gal prob run the sequence on a skimmer?

well thanks for reading this and please any ideas and advice you can give i would be very appreciative also i will post some pics of the original pond as is and i will take step by step pics of all work carried out i hope the total build time will be no more than 3 weeks

many thanks

stu
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Major pond re-build

Post by TerryKoi »

look forward to some photo's Stu.
easylife
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by easylife »

Stu,
Thats a different method of construction, and will be interesting to see what the cost is compared to the more usual methods of construction
Good luck with the build and keep us up to date with plenty of pics
Alan
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi alan

cost is roughly £300-£400 supply and fit of the sarna membrane as for the kingspan i get it at trade so pretty inexpensive, thinking the total build will be £1000 thats including the filters, pipe work etc... much cheaper than conventional builds and so much easier.

thanks

stu
bicolormoth
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by bicolormoth »

if i had used 150mm celotex (kingspan) for mine it would cost around £600 that's £100 less than my 'crete & blocks. :roll:
i'm not sure if i would be confident with it. tried & tested methods are always best for us DIY'ers as we know what to expect. if you are ' in the trade' then fair enough, you know the materials you are using and you get it cheap.
I doubt any of us would be able to advise you on this proposed build, as you have asked on various forums. but i am sure we will all wish you good luck with your build and look forward to seeing pics of your progress. :)

Russell
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Good luck with the build, I always like to see how new ideas unfold. At the end let us all know how much over budget you are, coz I dont think a grand is going to get You far, Hope it does, just cant see it.
Justin
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hey justin
not going to be over budget may even be under got the membrane for nowt and the kingspan i will get at less than cost maybe even order too much and get it for nowt also? then i really will be under budget :lol: :lol:

stu
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

happy days
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi guys
can anyone advise me on the returns how many should i have? and in what position should they be placed?

stu

P.S justin Happy days indeed :lol: :lol: :lol:
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi guys changing the plan for the pond slightly instead of the kingspan i am going to use composit panels these are insulated steel sheets 100mm thick we use them at work, this will give the stability in the walls i need, as for the filtration i have decided to go for a nexus 300 on the bottom drain and an eazy pod on the skimmer? so now the cost will be slightly more as i will be buying the filters but getting all the materials for free so making a saving that way.
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

Got the materials delivered today will be starting the pond build at easter off work for a week and should have time to spare just need to get my hands on a nexus 200 and pod

stu
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

Hi,
so i have taken delivery of my filters (Nexus 200, multicyclone and a 3 tier bakki) just waiting on the pipework and a couple other bits and bobs :roll: then i can begin unfortunatley i had planned on building the pond over the easter hols but was asked to work :evil: and with the way things are at the moment the pennies count :lol: so had to put the pond off but hopefully there will be no more hicups and once the final pieces of the puzzle arrive i can start posting my pics and my progress aslo i had planned on fitting 4 850mm square viewing windows but have had to make some sacrifices because of cost of other items E.G filters :cry: so its only going to be 1 850mm square viewing window still pretty impressive though i think?

cheers
stu
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stu,

Good luck on the build;d looks like you have all the kit and don't forget the before and after pictures please :D
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi gazza i will post some pics of the pond tomorrow, i have drained the pond to about a foot deep just starting to get impatient now want it finished so we can enjoy it and so i can make a trip to see maurice @ koi uk and mark @ cuttlebrook

cheers
stu
moz
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by moz »

Hi stu,

Give me a shout for your window frames and glass mate can sort you no probs.

Ian