Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

steven perkins
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: pond building

Post by steven perkins »

hey dude ,,
if they are the same price if you buy 10 or 100 i would buy as you go :)

saves over buying and also falling over loads of blocks :)

upload some pics if you can :)

there is nothing more exiting than building a new koi pond :)

perky
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Buy Your blocks in one go, There is this invention called a tape measure makes things very simple to work out how many blocks needed for the task in hand. You may be able to get a better deal if You order everything in one go. My pond has a flat bottom and I mean bang in the gate level. One airated bottom drain that is never on, unless needed on a long hot summer night. Never once had to do any cleaning to pond base. As some on here know I have built many a pond over the years. Many have flat bottom`s at best there will be a very small slope to the drains no more than a 50mm fall, but this will be on larger pond`s with a huge surface area. If You have enough water being pulled down the drain and the correct placement of returns the water will do all the work for You.
Thorny
steven perkins
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steven perkins »

flat bottom fail lol !!!!!

vortex pond for the win !!!!!

i dont really care !!! its your loss !!!!

my pond swirls to a earated botom drain that is at the bottom of a slight slope ,,,causing an anti clockwise vortex in my pond ,,
that energy is transfered to my vortex first fiter ,,,

do me a favour ,, fill up your sink with the cold tap ,,, notice which way the water swirls ,, then leave the water in the sink for an hour ,, when you empty the sink it will swirl in the same direction ,, then try it with the hot tap ,, it will swirl the opposite way ,, its all about energy !!! and using it to your advantage in removing big deposits !!!!

dont listen ??? i dont care !!!

this will be m last post on this matter

perky
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Thank god for that Perky mate coz You aint got a clue, Both floors will work fine. Just out of interest how many ponds have You built to make You such an authoritie on this subject? I`m around the fifty mark :wink:
steven perkins
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steven perkins »

i have only ever built 3 ponds ,,
but am currently building 7 and a breeding and growing house ,, all heated and insulated
all will have my set up ,,,
i am an engeneer ,, a master technician ,,,
i build and fabricate new and classic cars that get featured front cover of magazines like Max Power ! Fast Car ! Fast Ford !Performance Vauxhall ! Classic Porsche !
just to mention a few ,,this year alone ,,,

my name is steven perkins ,, i own and built perkins automotive

thanks for your great comments

perky
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Sorry Steve didnt realize we were playing My Dad`s bigger than Your Dad. Glad to hear You are at the top of Your game in Your profession. I like You have had articles put to print for magazines. Unlike You mine are On point, and are for the Koi publication`s Re pond building. Didnt think I needed to boast about it though. Not having a pop at You mate and if I ever need a go faster strip down My van You will be the first person I call :lol:
You are correct a slope floor works great, as does a flat floor. I favour a flat floor on a small pond of upto 4000 gallon where only one drain is to be used. As many of these ponds have smaller surface area`s and a maximum depth. A flat floor allows the customer to squeeze as much water in as they can, to optimize the space they have to play with, To achieve a higher gallonage, or as in most case`s as much of the garden as the wife allows :wink:
Justin
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Hi,
Benched floors !!! do they work :?
Ive had both and not poo anywhere, all to do with fish movement and airated drains in my eyes .
I do think that you dont need benching to the drain , as flow and benching alone wont pull the poo any better than a flat bottom, as you only need to look in a vortex with steep sides and loads of flow to see that poo will still sit on the steep sides and no pond would have that steep benching....
gazang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by gazang »

hello, my name is gaz and this is my first ever post and first ever attempt at building a proper pond compared to the hole in the ground pond i have at present. ok so right now i have a 30ft x 20ft pond with a liner that has worked well but i now want to move onward and upward so the new pond is going to happen as the digger arrives on tuesday.
the new pond will be 2ft6" in the ground and 3ft6" above giving me a finished depth of 6ft, its 15ft wide and 25ft long. as already stated i am a beginer so got on here for some sound advise but all i see is people disagreeing and each having a different opinion on the build.
questions i have are-

concrete base thickness using fibre concrete
wall thickness below and then above ground
bottom drains and top skimmers ?

ok so not a lot of questions but trying to get a straight answer that is the norm looks impossible !!!!!

any help would be greatly recieved.

gaz
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Hi Gaz, sounds like a nice big pond. You will need atleast two bottom drains, I would go with 3, but this depends on what filtration You are planning on using. Also I would say two skimmers place on the pond where thay will work to there maximum, ie under tree`s ect ect. I always have a good base 225mm of concrete with added fibers. This will give You a good base to work from for blockwork and shouldnt go anywhaere with 60+ tons of water pushing down on it. I would build 100mm concrete blocks flat in the ground, then break into 100mm upright above ground with an outside skin of face brickwork giving You back a 225mm thick wall. Are You planning on a window?
Hope I have been of some help.
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Gaz,

Welcome to Koi Quest :D

If i was you i would post this in a new thread and that way you can chat about all the idears you want with the pond :D