Breeding Koi

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

cheech
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Breeding Koi

Post by cheech »

Hi All,

Some of my koi spawned this year, but I was not expecting it.

I was wondering if anybody can recommend any books, articles about breading koi that I can read up over the winter ?

We have some spare land so I am thinking of digging a mud pond. Nothing serious, just for the fun of it, It may stop me hankering after purchasing more and more koi.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breeding Koi

Post by Duncan »

hi i can only recommend these which i penned, breeding is a very rewarding pastime

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Easter%20special.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Easter%20specialpart2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dunc
bradders
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by bradders »

What a great read Dunc,fascinating stuff enjoyed that cheers. :D
cheech
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by cheech »

Duncan,

Many thanks, excellent imformation.

I've seen mud ponds treated with lime to kill off any nasties before they are refilled and also read that spawning ponds are treated with chickrn sh-t, fertiliser, etc, just wondered if you could overdose with these items ? Or should I say what doseage is recommended ?
One last question, why chicken manure ?, would well rotted horse manure do the same job ?

Sorry if these are obscure questions, but I fancy digging a small mud pond, just in case I can catch some spawning next year.

Many Thanks

Gary
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi gary
yes they use lime i would think no explination would be needed for this but i have no idea how much they use

yes chicken s**t is spread around the edges it helps the pond form narural water fleas etc which is good for the fry

i used cow s**t once it did work i would think horse would as well

i had an old pond up the top of the garden once it has filled with rain water and then with leaves believe it or not this would as well it was teaming with pond life

or i know a place where you can buy rotifier cultures to start your own get that blanket weed going it great for this purpose

in fact i can tell you a placew where to get really high protein fry powder in set micron sizes dependant on age of fry
cheech
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by cheech »

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the info, I presume the lime is to kill of any nasties before filling.

I'd be interested to know where you can get rotifyers and fry food, please?

Thanks

Gary
reyce

Post by reyce »

i also read it..:))
..,tnx for the info duncan..:))
bremmert
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by bremmert »

cheech wrote:Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the info, I presume the lime is to kill of any nasties before filling.

I'd be interested to know where you can get rotifyers and fry food, please?

Thanks

Gary
Hi Gary,

The lime is to get your pH on a higher level, because the nitrification will give a decrease in your pH. You can use animal manure, but I think usage of artifical fertiliser will be a lot safer. Animal manure can increase the pathogen load of your pond. If you have a small pond, I would choose for a lime coated fertilizer. If you get your water green with the addition of the fertilizer, you automatically will get rotifers, daphnia and stuff. You should watch out with the development of moscito larvae, because they like to predate on Koi fry. I don't know what your plans are for the breeding, can you explain a little bit more?

Kind regards,

Bram Rohaan
steven perkins
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steven perkins »

hi there ,,
i am also planning on breeding 4 types of koi this year ,,
its my first time and i have spent the last few months reading up on Duncans words and also the words of mark from cuttlebrook farm ,its a great site full of great info as well as right here ,,,
i gues research is the key :)
and your in the right place :)
but practice makes perfect :)
good luck my koi loving friend :)

perky