Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

stacey
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Water Purifiers

Post by stacey »

Hi all
Just browsing some koi sites recently and was looking at the KP1 water purifiers.
It struck me that they looked exactly like my old RO unit that I've had kicking around in the garden for years.
What do you think? would a set of KP1 cartridges fit in this? Are the output tubes the right size?
Presumably I'd have to rig up spme kind of Hozelock to little tube adapter on the input. Whats the flow rate on
these units?
Any advice warmly received.
Cheers
Stacey
ImageImageImage
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Water Purifiers

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stacey,

What is it you are wanting to do is it rig the RO back up or just remove the RO housing and use a a purifier :?:

Depending on how much water you are looking to put through them you will find the pre filtration housings on your RO are the standard 10" and will take many filters if you get stuck Alan at http://www.purewaterproducts.co.uk/index.php is the guy to call always very helpful with plenty of kit.
stacey
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by stacey »

Thanks for the reply Gazza.
Yes I was thinking of taking off the RO unit and just using it as a mains water purifier for pond top ups/water changes.
When I ran it as an RO unit it took forever to get any water out, I take it it would be quicker with just the carbon units.
The outlet pipes are really skinny.
Cheers
Stacey
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stacey,

Yes one of the problems with RO is because of the way it works it has a very slow output as they are designed to be used with salty water in a warm temperature (25c) and a good pressure like 80psi so when we rig them up they are slow. The way we get around this is use bigger units and you one is probably only a 100 gallon per day unit which at best would get about 30-50 gallons per day.

Yes if you remove the RO housing and put in normally filters like a sediment and active carbon you will get a better flow but again you don't want to go to fast as it can pass through to fast.