Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

advice please

Post by colin »

Hi
I need a bit of help please guys.... I'm in the process of getting some bits together to change my filter set up on my 450gl QT.
At present the QT is one of the fibreglass 5ft X 5ft X 3ft big foot jobbies. It is filtered by an aquamax 5500 connected to bottom drain, to 1kw elecro heater, UV then to pod.
I have 30kgs of BHM coming this week and a 12in X 3ft tower shower.....
I'm planning to run both Pod and Tower in tandem until the BHM cycles. Then I plan to sell the Pod get a Cetus Sieve then get 20kg more BHM and a 3 or 4 tier Shower ( being fed by Sieve)
So..... I have a spare Yamitt ITT 2,250gph (299w) pump that will need to travel some 2 metres up to the tower/shower! What size pipe work would be better 1.5 or 2 inch? And what kind of flow loss will I likely expect?

Once I can afford to get the Sieve/Shower, the heater,UV will have to be raised so it all hopefully follows a straight line with not a lot of resistance/flow loss....
But for now I will have to feed the Pod and Tower so will try and balance flow rates.....
One last thing, I would rather not use a 299w pump, but I don't have the cash for new pump also!!! If I could, what do you recommend? I want to turn over at least 3 or 4 times and hour....

Well I hope that makes sense? Not very good at putting thought to type :)
Will be away from computers for a couple of days, so don't think I am ignoring you all. :D

Thank you and take care

Col :)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: advice please

Post by Gazza »

Hi Colin,

Why do you want to remove the pod once the BHM has matured :?:

I run a similar system which is around 450gls in my shed and is my little growing on system which has been running for some time and is filtered by a easy pod and then straight over a shower and it works a treat :D

I have a 2" bottom drain and a 2" tommy drain which all connect together into 4" which then feeds directly into an easy pod.I then come off the pod and into a Sequence 12,000 pump then through an electrol 3kw heater then over my (Bob Hart Special) mini shower which i think holds about 25kgs of BHM straight back to the tank. I have grown on many fish in the system and even quarantined our Tosai from Japan and they went straight into the tank along with the four fish that was already in there so in total there was 23 fish and the water was spot on :D

Because i am using the pod for mechanical (although there will be some bio going on) the water going over the shower is clean which means the BHM can work better than when having dirty water pumped over it so much more efficient and can handle more.
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi Gaz hope your well?

I'll take some pics later and show you one of a few reasons why I want to get rid of Pod..... Nothing personal about the Pod, it's a great filter and is and has looked after my boys and girls perfectly for this past year.......
As I said. photo's will explain a bit.....
Wish me luck with them.....

colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

As you can probably see? In order to fit my equipment in the shed I had to make some staging over my tank..... It takes up an area of approx 5ft X 2ft of surface area that can't be seen, so by doing away with the pod I'll manage to free up the ugliness of the equipment and more area to see if I can get a load more Tosai in... :D :) :lol: 8)

Col :P
Attachments
DSCF0052.JPG
DSCF0052.JPG (117.91 KiB) Viewed 11118 times
DSCF0051.JPG
DSCF0051.JPG (113.24 KiB) Viewed 11118 times
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Colin,

I am well thanks :D

I cant see what you mean it just looks like your maximizing your room with some very clever positioning thats all and all looks very good :D

So am i right in thinking that your going to strip it out and make it bigger :?:
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Something like that mate? :) I have 2 sheds back to back. One is 8ft the other with tank in is 11ft. Eventually. hopefully next year, I will do away with the 8ft one and do an extension on the other. The fibreglass tank will be sold on, then I will build myself an 8ft X 5ft X 7ft QT/grow pond in the new BIGGER shed and have an area about 6ft X 6ft for sitting and viewing and dreaming...... :)

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Colin,

Sounds just the ticket mate and i look forward to some pictures as you go along :D
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Will do! :D