Timber pond construction ??

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Staffskoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Staffskoi »

Hi Arthur Joe

That tank looks like a properjob, I see you also strengthened with angle and also the fibreglass.

Cheers for all the comments so far. I think because in the back of my mind I didn't think it would quite work, thats why I posted.

So I think I am going to build the structure, using steel supports to strengthen the wood, also I will fibreglass the inside. I will also bear in mind what Brian said about bonding wood together.

I will hopefully start this project in around 3 weeks I need to get the garage properly insulated first. When I do I will post my progress and hopefully it will look at least half as good as Arthur Joe's.

Thanks Alex
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

If you board both faces you could easily insulate in between and get a lovely neat job, would still go for 6x3 though, I know a lot more expensive in the short term but a lot cheaper if the 4x2s fail once you have good quality fish in it.
Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

My pond is all wood construction. I used 3 sheets of 8x4 wbp ply (25mm thick) and made three frames of 3 x 4 timbers all overlapping at the corners so bolted together.
The ply is screwed to the frame from the inside & the heads are recessed so no sharp edges.
The pond measures 8' long, 4' wide and 4' deep with a butyl liner.
I used thick loft insulation between the three timber frames and the outside is covered with gravel board (thick & cheap).
georgeboscon
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Timber pond construction ??

Post by georgeboscon »

But even with chemical treatments, pine decking is not as durable as cedars in an outdoor environment. Thus, many municipalities and homeowners are turning to hardwoods.

Decking Timber
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timber pond construction ??

Post by B.Scott »

Yes hard wood will last much longer and avoids the evils of treated wood. Merbau is OK but I wouldn't want to use in subsurface. The are other woods that last much longer. still the issue of sustainability does come to mind and I find myself feeling a bit guilty of my contribution to wholesale rainforest rape now taking place on our planet.