Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fair1535
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Which Air pump ?

Post by fair1535 »

Hi.
Will be starting the new build soon and incorporating airlift. From all your experience which make is the best for reliability & ease of maintenance ?
Many thanks in anticipation.

Steve
nishkisteve
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Which Air pump ?

Post by nishkisteve »

Hi Steve,

I've used few different makes and find the Secoh to be very reliable. Only used the SSL 40, so couldn't comment on the larger volume ones.

Steve
Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi Steve,

As Steve says, smaller Secohs are very reliable, but I've not tried them at any real depth. They are situated in my filters. However, I've found that larger Secohs (EL 60 & EL100) cannot cope with any depth beyond about 1.5m and simply blow the diaphragms. If you speak to Bibus they will tell you that Secohs are not rated beyond this depth. However, the EA 80 that I also own just recently had it's first set of replacement diaphragms in about 5 years and is pumping air beyond a depth of 2m.

Hope this helps,

Mark
fair1535
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fair1535 »

many thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it

Steve
markchip
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by markchip »

[quote= However, I've found that larger Secohs (EL 60 & EL100) cannot cope with any depth beyond about 1.5m and simply blow the diaphragms. If you speak to Bibus they will tell you that Secohs are not rated beyond this depth. [/quote]

Do many/most/all pumps specify their capable depth or must you make a calculated guess based on the power/flow rate?

Are piston pumps therefore more reliable or any more capable at depth? I'm looking to go for a moderately high flow rate for an airlift but only lifting from 1.2m below water level and then a lower flow to my bottom drain which will be deeper at 2m.

Thanks, Mark