Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

James WF10
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Leak Advice

Post by James WF10 »

Hey Folks,
I'm hoping someone on here may be able to offer me a few words of wisdom.
I bought a house a year ago with pond dug and fibreglassed with bottom drain. Learnt a bit about Koi keeping and adopted some Koi after kitting it out with a filter and filling.
It looks great and added a few bits myself such as a waterfall n stuff.
My problem is i have found a very slight leak. Where my filter returns water back into the pond a pipe is set through the breeze block and through the fibre glass. I have noticed that where the pipe goes in through the breeze on the outside of the pond it has water slowly seeping through the breeze. It doesnt leak at a very fast rate and only needs a small top up every week or so. Now the weather is a bit nicer tho i think its time i emptied out half the water and really tackled it before it gets any worse.
so what i think my options are is as follows....
Option 1 - Change the return pipe and re direct it straight back into the pond over the side and block the hole up where it was through the fibre glass

Option 2 - Somehow paint or re cover around where i believe the leak to be coming from and hope it solves it.

The pond is 3000 gallon and half way has a step from 3 foot to 5 1/2 foot so reckoning on emptying to the step so i can climb in and have a good look at it and the Koi will still have somewhere, i'll just have to knock the filter off.

I have no idea about fibre glassing and anything of the sort so any advise would be greately appreciated please. Which option would be best/easiest/cheapest etc?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
James
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Leak Advice

Post by Gazza »

Hi James,

The good news is you know where the leak is and even better news is that you may even be able to seal it with the water in if you can reach the pipe from the top. This problem can be where the fiberglass does not stick to the pipe due to the plastic so its best to use a sealer when glassing. There is a product call Gold Label which is a sealer which can actually be used under the water so if you can reach just turn off the pump and then smear a load of it round the edged of the pipe all the way round and it should seal it with a bit of luck.

Tip:

Wear some gloves as it sticks and you will get it everywhere :wink:
James WF10
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by James WF10 »

Ah, an option 3....
Nice one Gazza, cheers for the advice. will see if i can get hold of some of what you mentioned.
Thanks
james
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi James,

This is the stuff in a yellow tube and is great stuff:

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bradsh ... e%5Ftest=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James WF10
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by James WF10 »

Gazza,
Just wanted to publicly thank you for the advice. I used the gold label sealant you advised and it has worked a treat.
In the end i had to run a smaller piece of flexi pipe through the existing pipe and filled around the pond side with the sealant and expanding foam around the section through the breeze block to hold it in place.
Its fully water tight, Touch wood, and im more than happy with the results. That stuff is excellent and will definately be using it again.
Thanks again
James
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi James,

Thats what we are here for mate and glad it worked :D