New pond design

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: New pond design

Post by eds »

No worries on butting in Darren, the more the better!

What flow are you putting through the shower? I'm planning 5,000gph over mine so I need 4, 3" returns so that the water doesn't build up in the shower. With only one 3" pipe you will only be able to put about 1,250gph through it without the water level in the shower backing up. 4" pipe will handle a bit over 2,500gph according to my calculations without any build up of water in the shower.

However if you allow a head to build up you can put a lot more water through the pipes as the head of pressure will increase the velocity of the water coming out of the pipes.

Without any flow the water will sit in the pipe at pond level. Once you start adding water at the filter end of your return pipe it will push the other water out of the pipe just like a gravity fed pipe feeding a filter. Only if your pipe is too small for the flow will the water back up in the filter.

I don't understand the last bit to be honest. If you pump water into your gravity return then that just means more water in the pipe which will increase the resistance. If that's what you mean?
oldgit
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by oldgit »

hi ed
my pond is only 2000gals and the shower is a custom made one from select.im only going two tier high but going double width so maybe two spraybars .electric not a problem so i have a badu pump spare.it turns over 2000gals/hr if not bit more so was hoping to use that.
with that maybe two 3inch pipes back to pond will do.
the bit you dont understand.after thinking about it i dont think it would work because the shower would be pumping over more water than the pump on the bead filter
darren
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ed,

Come on where are the pictures and have you started digging yet as you've only got a few weeks left :D :wink:
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Gazza wrote:Hi Ed,

Come on where are the pictures and have you started digging yet as you've only got a few weeks left :D :wink:
Having a bit of a dilemna as to where to put the greenhouse pond as there' a b*****y manhole cover where I wanted to put it! Looks like I am going to have to turn it the other way round which is going to take up more of the garden than I really wanted to, but never mind! 4 weeks and counting today! Will take some pics in a bit and start the thread off.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ed,

Just incorporate in in there close by so you can run it it if needed could come in handy.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Ed

Can you post up a pic showing where you want to put the growing on pond and the offending manhole cover - someone might come up with solution.

Cheers

Jon
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Starting a new thread with it on Jon!