Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bruised Knee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

secoh 80 air pump repair

Post by Bruised Knee »

Hi

This is a long shot but I thought I'll give it a try.

I have two secoh 80s which were bought second hand but in really good nick. Both have overheated over the last few days due to the heat mini heatwave. I've taken the casing apart, checked the diaphrams and cant spot anything obvious. Does anyone know if its repairable or know someone that can repair air pumps or is it a case of dumping them?

Thanks

Yip
fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: secoh 80 air pump repair

Post by fishy hands »

are they making the pumping sound but not producing air or just dead
Bruised Knee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Bruised Knee »

hi

one is making a pumping sound when I switch it on and then fade to almost silent. The other is completely dead when I switch it on so could be terminal.

yip
fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishy hands »

fell the first one and see if it still vibrating when it goes silent ?? and the dead one ... change the fuse and see what happens !!!
Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Coelophysis »

Yip,

Don't give up on them just yet. Secoh pumps have a cut out device that operates if the diaphragms split or the pump becomes too hot because of other reasons such as operating above their normal pressure due to blockages, etc. The cut out device is situated between the two magnets and needs to be set precisely centrally on its runner. I have found this to be extremely sensitive on some Secoh pumps. Have a look at the http://www.partsandpumps.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website where you can also buy all the spares you need. The website has a video of how to dismantle the pumps and reassemble them. You could also try speaking to Bibus on 01628 533300 who are the UK distributors for Secoh.

Best of luck,

Mark
Bruised Knee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Bruised Knee »

Fishy hands, when I turn the pump on the sounds like it pumping ok and then goes silent with very faint murmur/vibration. As for the dead one, I will try and change the fuse tonight -didnt think about that!

Mark, thanks for the links and contact number -will give them a call. I didnt want to bin them as they look brand new and also I bought spare diaphram kits for both secohs.

Appreciate your help guys

Yip

EDIT:

guys, happy ending for my air pumps as they are both up and running after checking the auto-start/applying WD40 and thorough clean of the magnets.

thank you for all your tips