king span

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

mark cook
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

king span

Post by mark cook »

hi every one just introducing my self to you all.my name is mark cook,im 47 years old live in mitcham south london,own my own drainage company and like you all have a passion for koi.i have lived in mitcham all my life ,iv been married for 21 years and have 4 sons,(very handy when the digging starts).i only have a small garden but im about to start on a 10x8x6 koi pond.iv been reading a few of the post on here and find you lot a great scorce of information.hope to be able to talk to some of you soon.im building the pond half in half out the ground and will be getting it fibreglassed hopfully.just a quick question to you all iv read on here that before glassing you line the walls/floor with king span ,would 50 mil do or do i need thicker? i say just one question but im sure there will be loads more thanks for reading my post and look forward to keeping you all up dated with the build
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: king span

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Koi Quest and ask away there are many here that can help you with information and its best to do it once thats for sure :D

Yes there are a lot of ponds out there now which have been built with kingspan before glassing and i am sure even 50mm will be able to keep a lot of heat retention but one of the most important things is a cover on top which make a massive difference.
mark cook
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mark cook »

cheers for the reply gazza hope to keep in contact in this forum regards mark
fishyfingers
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishyfingers »

i am building a pond of simular size IMO i think kingspan of 25mm would be sufficient, but please be aware that trying to fiberglass over kingspan can get trickey especially if you have any water ingress . Water and fiberglass dont mix and i have had problems fiberglassing (trying to do it all myself) and would now advise others to get in a pro.Some fo these guys use a different type of foam which is thinner and maybe easier worked with. If u have someone in mind for fiberglassing get in touch with them and ask their advice.
Harry :)
Matthew
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Matthew »

Harry

Did you get fixed up after our chat?

Matt
fishyfingers
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishyfingers »

yes Matt made progress, cut out small section with a core drill near bottom drain and sucked out trapped water then completed the rest of the fiberglass which went on without the previous problems with water.Will plug the core foam section today with aquarium sealent and apply several patches of grp to seal and secure.Fingers crossed :roll:
Doing this just when i can hope to apply flo coat next week :D

Thank you for your help (koi friend) :D