Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Sequence 12000 making funny noise

Post by Jon W »

Hi all
I have just installed a brand new Sequence 12000 on a shower. Water flows as it should but there is a reasonably loud ticking noise emanting from the motor housing. My mate has got 3 on his pond and none of those make a similar noise. It does not appear to be caused by vibration against anything. I was worried that it represents something be worn and shortening the life of the pump. Has anyone had a similar experience or has a suggestion as to what it might be.

Regards

Jon
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Sequence 12000 making funny noise

Post by carlejo »

Might need bedding in for a few days possibly, if noise persists, send it back.....

Have you another pump to run shower while waiting for replacement ?
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Carlejo

I did have an old Aquamax 16000 that I was using. For some reason the impellor seems to be loose and I can't get into it because the casing uses those star shaped nuts. I was just starting the shower up now because the temperature has improved. Might have to wait until I've got the Sequence sorted.

Cheers

Jon
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I had a strange ticking noise from mine when a stone somehow got trapped in the flat fins/vents around the motor. Once I got it out it was almost silent.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Ed

I took the housing off the motor. The cooling fins are pretty flimsy; I suspect they rub against the housing. I'm going to try adjusting the housing when screwing everything back together to see if that makes it stop. Main concern is not burning out the motor through additional friction.

Cheers

Jon
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi All

Just in case anyone has a similar problem I solved the mystery. Have opened, closed and test run the unit it worked without making a noise on the 3rd occassion. Basically poor tolerance of the case around the rotating fins due to location of screws. Not exactly up to Eheim engineering standards and a bit crap for something that retails at nearly £300.

Cheers

Jon
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Good you got it sorted though Jon. Thanks for the feedback too - sure it will help someone else (like me as I was looking at getting a couple for my new pond!).