Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Aqua Hybrid Filters

Post by Jon W »

Hi Everyone

Just wondered if anyone has used or made any +ve/-ve buying decisions about the Aqua Hybrid Filters from Nishigoi International and whether it lives up to the claims;

-Runs on low wattage pumps
-Very low head loss
-Crystal clear water

I'm currently considering filtration options for a new pond build. It is going to be about 8,000 gallons, with 2 bottom drains and 1 skimmer. Initially I'm thinking vortex and bead filters off the bottom drains and a shower off a 4" skimmer line. At a later point I might convert the whole thing to showers if funds permit and I can find a way to gas off without supercooling during the colder months (I've got a ridiculous idea for a custom built "supershower" which can take a feed from all 3 filter lines). I'm interested in the Aqua Hybrids because they claim to be more economical to buy and run. However, I don't want to compromise on the water quality so would buy Bubblebeads (already use and very happy with) if they're not up to the job.

Any thoughts welcome.

Regards

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Aqua Hybrid Filters

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

It always make me think again when i see a filter that does everything and statements of crystal clear water i personal want "good" water as crystal clear water is not always good water :idea:

If you thinking of showers will you be able to house them in a filter house and then not have to worry about the cooling effect :idea:

Its about time you get this pond started mate :D
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

I know what you mean - my only criteria is "good" water, not overly concerned about the crystal aspect; visiting Mr Snaden's establishment and perusing "the cesspit" does put water quality issues in perspective. Perhaps I'll stick with Bubblebeads

I've got a shower on my indoor pond which has a fairly elaborate box made of polycarb and an outer shell of Kingspan - over the winter I had to turn this off because despite the insulation it was still reducing the temp by up to -2C. That's the only reason I'm a little wary of solely using showers (plus for an 8K pond I will ultimately need £2,800 worth of BHM)

I've only really finished the growing on pond - change of job and helping my mate with his pond.. I've got a few structural dilemas to sort out before I can begin. Like how to cut a big enough opening for the width of a 10ft wide half in half out pond and how to cut windows in the shed without the roof caving. Then how to get an 8-ton digger inside the shed to dig the hole (although I think I've sorted that one).

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

Yes it can be ab eye opener at Mikes :D

I have a shower on my outdoor pond and I have it enclosed in 25mm poloy carb and the front was just made up of the bits left as i never got round to doing it properly :roll: (bit like enclosing the pond really) and it has two 16,000 pumps going over it and through the winter i have kept and eye on the boiler when ever i have been out there i touch the flue and have been very surprised that it hasn't been on as much as i expected. It will be interesting to see what happens to my gas bill this year because the cover never went on till just before Christmas and i run the pond at 12c and even now the pond is at 15c and the cover is half off and again the boiler is not on to much so lets hope for a small gas bill :D