Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Dobber
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Kid proof pond cover

Post by Dobber »

Hi,

Before i order my soil to fill my pond in, i was thinking about putting a metal grid over the pond( the type that can be walked on) The only problem is koi jump so my question is: How high would the grid need to be above the surface? Or any other ideas apart from fences as they are not 100% proof.
I have a photo of my pond but do not know how to post it?

Cheers

Dobber
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Kid proof pond cover

Post by Graham. »

Hi Dobber.

Not an easy one, I have thought long an hard on this as my James is 9 months old now so it's something that I need to look into.

I've seen my Tancho breach a foot out of the water last summer one evening taking Gnats off the water surface. Im not sure what the best solution is, Im not keen on the metal grids, they are very costly and very unsightly. I think fences can be secure if built correctly, so maybe an idea to post some pics if you still need help pm me and i'll send you my email and i'll sort them out for you.

Hope you get some ideas though mate before you think of filling it in.

Regards
Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Craig,

Could you put some higher fencing around the pond to stop small children from walking up to close perhaps :idea:

Here as a couple of pictures of the pond and it will be such a shame to fill this in it looks very nice.

fishboyfishy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishboyfishy »

There is a company that make a net that is black. Once fitted it will take the weight of a child & an adult for rescue, without touching the water.

I think the company was called katchakid? do a search on the web.

When I was going to build an in groung pond I was going to get one, I think I was quoted about £280 fitted.
Dobber
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dobber »

Thanks guys i checked out the netting cover and its works out to best part of a grand and i am not sure i would work on my pond anyway as my rocks are not fixed. I thought about a higher fence but it would always need a gate!! and i really dont need the worry.
I will wait until April and put my Koi up for sale.

Cheers

Dobber