Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

RO Help

Post by colin »

Sorry, me yet again :oops:

I got myself originally a 100us gallon per day RO unit for my QT, but was unhappy with the amount of waste water. A phone call later and now I have an extra 2 RO membranes so 300us per day. I have had a look at some pics on here of I think the way that Dunc has his set up, parallel! My question is this, I see that there is the use of 4 flow restictors, what size do I need for my unit? I had a 300 on my first set up but now have a 450?
One bit of good news though, TDS from product water is down to 3ppm, (unless my tester is faulty and needs calibrating?) :shock:

Kind regards

Colin
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: RO Help

Post by colin »

Now sorted.

Colin
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Glad you got it sorted Colin BUT how :wink:

We all need to learn you know, how have you done it?

rgds

Dave
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

A simple answer I'm afraid.... I have decided not to bother keep wasting my hard earnt £££££. Seriously, I have been thinking what way should I pipe it up this way or that way????? Looking at all the posts concerned with RO water and getting myself in a right old state :oops: Should it be in a series or should it be in parallel etc,etc,etc. But after talking to Alan at purewater I've opted to rig it up in the series way, (wastewater from previous membrane feeding the next and so on) Keep it simple.... and bascially let it find it's own way.
Once I start the conversion to running in RO water I shall keep notes and monitor the situation for a year? :lol:
If I'm not happy with things then of course I can tweak it up a bit.
It's a case again of everybody's pond being different. We have different wants and needs. But we all need a good solid foundation to build upon.
Better leave it there for now, nearly got all spiritual. :wink:

Off to meditate, shall report any info as and when.

PS. Are you using RO Dave or thinking about doing so?
PPS. Not so simple answer! :D

Colin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Colin,

See Simples :D :D :D
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi Gazza,

Simple rules! 8) just like me. :)
I here you are getting there with yours now! Good luck mate. :wink:

Colin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Colin,

Yes i think we are slowly getting there but a long way to go yet as we have a lot of testing to do but it will be worth it in the long run :D
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Hi Colin,

I'm going to be using RO soon. I have a 450gpd from Alan and have done lots of testing with it. The unit is in series and works very well and I'm getting 50% good water BUT I'm on a water meter so its costing me too much. I have to build a small Koi pool in my garage to house last years fry so that I can use their 3,000 litre pool to pump ground water from my well into. From this 3,000 litres pool I will feed the RO unit, less complicated than it sounds but spare time is at a premium.

This modification will mean I can have lots of RO water without pushing the membranes too hard to economise the source water.

I will also plot everything daily as I progress

Dave
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

After reading about it for a while now, still haven't picked up on why people use RO, can anyone explain its uses and benefits? thanks.
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Sounds rather interesting Dave! And 50% product is good. Did you plan the spawn or did it just happen? Would love to see some pics if you have any?

Regards

Colin
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

The spawning was sort of planned but not by me. I've bred Koi before and gave most away but haven't bothered for a few years. Last year so many kept asking for Koi that I gave in, the problem was it was already 31st July. Anyway I caught some victims and put them in the indoor pond with new water (the best trigger) and the next day there were thousands of eggs. Raising Koi fry is easy but a lot of work and expense, I like doing it but always regret it. This time it was even harder because of the late spawning as your also fighting the temperature. Anyway here's a picture from today, they are only heated to +10°C so are only 4 inches long but once it warms up they will quickly grow.

Dave
Attachments
DSC06363-P60.jpg
DSC06363-P60.jpg (52.85 KiB) Viewed 17493 times
DSC06361-P60.jpg
DSC06361-P60.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 17494 times
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Recent koinations article very good on Micheal Cox's setup!

5 100gpd in series which he was getting upto 80% efficeincy!!

Note to do this many may require a watersoftener
Although he does have 25 source water :roll:

Ben
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

If he had 25 TDS source water why would you treat it?
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Sorry thats temp
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi Dave thanks for the pics! Some nice looking babies there. Yes I bet it can be very expensive breeding Koi. It makes one appreciate why Koi can command the price they do!

I saw that article from Koi Nations as well! Very good output, but as you say with a temp of 25c you would expect an output of product water at least that if not better!

I had my system going today (FIRST TIME PROPER) It's also one from Purewater, 300USG per day. Source water temp 9c, water pressure 110 PSI, output flow= HALF A LITRE per 2 minutes, after all the maths.... :oops: 79.29 UK gallons per day! :( But for a 500gl tank, I'm happy at the mo with that......

Regards

Colin