Flow Rate Bakki Shower

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

m4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Flow Rate Bakki Shower

Post by m4koi »

Having recently joined the forum i have a question, are there any suggested flow rates for Bakki Showers? i have a 5,500 gal pond with a Nexus 300 but am hoping to add a shower later this year but can't seem to find any info on how big a pump i should be looking at, any suggestions?
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Flow Rate Bakki Shower

Post by Graham. »

Welcome !

Depends how big the shower is, here is mine which is 45" high, this has an Aquamax 16000 to chuck over.

I know some of the lads have the next size up from this shower and and are throwing over two 16,000

I think more the better, and dont get mixed up all all the media waffle :lol: Go for the BHM as there are plenty deals about at the moment.

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi m4koi,

Welcome to Koi Quest :D

Graham is bang on put a shower on the pond and if you can go 4 tier and use BHM then pump over it as fast as you can :D

I run a single with 4 tier shower and have two 16,000 pumps going over the shower and it works a treat :D
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

LakesideLad wrote:I think more the better, and dont get mixed up all all the media waffle :lol: Go for the BHM as there are plenty deals about at the moment.

Graham
Got any more info on those deals Graham? I need another box or two!

I've got 12,000lph going over my DIY shower M4koi. If you're looking at a standard sized shower bought 'off the shelf' then they are recommended with around 3,000gph over them if I remember rightly. However you can chuck loads more over them as the more the better really.
m4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by m4koi »

Hi Graham, thanks for the info and the photo, sorry but 2 more questions,
1) where did you get your shower from?
2) what is BHM?

Cheers!
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I don't know where Graham got his shower from but I can help on the second part.

BHM is Bacteria House Media and is produced by Momotaro. There's loads of info on it on Mike Snaden's site, Yumekoi.

Here's the link to the sales pages with loads of info on it about showers and BHM. There's also reports from users as well.
http://www.yumekoi.com/index.php/products/bakki-showers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (there's 3 pages to that part of Mike's site)

And here's an article from Mike too, http://www.yumekoi.com/images/stories/p ... s_2003.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got BHM in my shower and it's great. You can chuck dirty water over it and it doesn't block! You need a good flow and to make water changes and that's it. You can get some fine particles in the water making it look dirty but, just like in a mud pond, my experience is that my koi love it in my QT. Gazza's fitted am easy pod to his QT to get over that murk. I've left mine as my pond's in a greenhouse and it gets loads of sun so the murk is free shading!
m4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by m4koi »

Thanks for those 2 links they were very informative, but i'm a bit concerned about a comment Mike made in his article about the chilling factor and that showers should only be used in fish houses and you say that yours is in the greenhouse. if i run a shower in the summer on an outdoor pond am i going to find that my water temp will not rise very much and my fish won't feed as much?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Yes a shower can cool the water in the winter but are OK in the summer.I have mine enclosed and although doesn't look as nice it keeps it nice and warm so not to bad.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Hi m4koi.

Where abouts are you in the country, there are loads of people I can recommend for showers alot comes down to your budget and how big you wish to have them.

Kind regards
Graham
m4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by m4koi »

Hi Graham, i'm in south wales between cardiff and newport, i have been told that Mike at Yume Koi is the closest in Bristol? As far as budget is concerned i would like to get a good one so i'm not replacing it after only a couple of years because its started to rust.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Well i think the Bristol lad would be an ideal man to visit and help you out on what you will need give him a call and visit you will enjoy it and learn at the same time :D
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Yup agree with Gazza, Bristol Bomber will be top choice near you.

Graham
m4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by m4koi »

Will let you know what he says once the snow has gone and i can make an appointment to go over and see him!